Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
No, I didn't remove the tank when I fitted mine, just undo the two allen bolts at the front by the steering head, the tank then just pivots back, you may need to detach some of the hoses as they get stretched pretty tight when the tank goes right back.

I installed mine myself. Tank does not need to come off. Just remove the two bolts at the front and tilt it back. You’ll need something to keep it elevated while you work under it. And you may want to bend the tabs at the pivot if you have them. My 2018 has them. Stupid.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Can anybody give a "long term" review of these heated grips?

Any problems so far?

I am a fair weather rider so these don't have to be the hottest heated grips but I just need them to be reliable, especially if I am paying $300 for them.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Poster - I suppose I've done 2 winters with the grips. I like them. Once the firmware was sorted and I got three heating levels, I haven't "wanted" for more. I also have "grip puppies" over my grips to deal with the vibration - and the heat comes through them just fine as well.

I know they're expensive, but I have been quite happy having them on the bike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Poster - I suppose I've done 2 winters with the grips. I like them. Once the firmware was sorted and I got three heating levels, I haven't "wanted" for more. I also have "grip puppies" over my grips to deal with the vibration - and the heat comes through them just fine as well.

I know they're expensive, but I have been quite happy having them on the bike.
Thanks for that update. I too have been waiting to hear how well the heated grips work. While we are getting into warmer weather here in western Washington, my hands still get cold after an hour or so when riding in 55-60 degree temps. I think I am just going to go for the triumph heated grips and have them installed by the dealer. What's an extra couple hundred bucks anyway?

Bone

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats pretty much my morning commute right now. Low to mid 50s when I leave in the morning and I put them on low. It’s cozy.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Installed them myself it was a little fiddly getting the wires through the bars and in the right place into the tank area. Had to have the software upgrade to get three settings, this was done at a normal service. Overall a very neat solution no wires flapping about and indicates on the display what setting you are on.

The only issue is pushing the button on the grip with thick gloves on. It can be a little fiddly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone had issues with the connection not being tucked under the tank enough? Mine just barely pokes out and I'm afraid it will have issues in the rain.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Has anyone had issues with the connection not being tucked under the tank enough? Mine just barely pokes out and I'm afraid it will have issues in the rain.
tape/ heatshrink it if you're worried? Some dielectric grease on the connectors before taping will keep it corrosion free even if some water gets in.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well I installed the grips yesterday.

Have to admit, it took me a lot longer than it should have.

To anyone installing this in the future.

Read the directions.

Do not fold back over the wires from inside the grip.

Leave them as they are. Once you feed through the Y wire loom, and the end connectors start coming out just connect the grip and slide it over slowly onto the handlebars.

Make sure that the wire stays within the notch on the bottom of the handlebar.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Did anyone of you had to pay your Triumph dealer to do the firmware update to get 3 levels?

My local dealer wants $60 to fix it to get 3 levels of heat.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Mine was done as part of the software check and update during the annual service. I did have to get the dealer to have a few goes at it to get the software to update and get the three settings. But no extra charge was made, or was it included in the service charge, who knows. Might have been different if I had just taken the bike in to have it done on its own.

·
Registered
244 Posts
So 3 of my local Triumph dealers did not know what the hell I was talking about. All of them wanted to charge me the software update. It's sad because one of them was the "premier" Triumph only place that opened up in NYC, Brooklyn. Useless.

Triumph USA customer service was a bit of a disappointment. I called in and I was dismissed as the rep. was adamant that there's only 2 heat levels.

Whatever.

I found a youtube video of a 765 RS owner showing 3 heat levels.
I also filmed a quick video showing that I only have 2 heat levels.

I sent an email to Triumph US customer service.

I shared my photos and videos via Google Photos app. The rep did not even open up to see my links. (Google photos will send me a notification when someone views the photos/videos via private links I sent). Completely dismissed me and told me to go to my local dealer to get a diagnosis and possible solution.

5 emails later.

I got the issue elevated to their service manager who confirmed that there are 3 heat levels.

I requested the rep to call my local Triumph dealer and explain the situation so when I show up there I don't look like a crazy person talking about 3 heat levels and get charged for the software update.

I went to my dealer today. Got a software update for FREE. All 3 heat levels are there.

I am just disappointed with the customer service level to be honest. This should have been 1 phone call/email. Instead, every email I sent it I got a half ass resolution.

Bottom line is, it's FREE. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I purchased and had an official triumph dealer in Alberta Canada recently install mine.

I got gouged pretty hard with the price being in Canadian dollars but I am pretty happy with the warmth, so it will be a quality of life investment when the temps start to dip.

Before I left, I asked them to verify that I had all 3 levels working correctly and/or update it and fix the issue before I left.

Everyone I talked to looked at me confused, but the install tech went back outside and verified all 3 heating levels were functioning.

I was also there for the 10k service, so it might have been applied during my wait time right before I asked to purchase the grips and have them installed.

I am not sure if he did a software update after the install or not, but just passing along my experience.

·
Registered
577 Posts
It doesn't shock me anymore about how little Triumph dealers know about their own bikes... When I was getting my RS last year, the salesman tried telling me the R & RS were identical except for the suspension & tune. A bit surprised that the US customer service sucked so bad though..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did mine the other day with no major issues. At one point I was worried I would not be able to remove the twist grip housing as it has 2 'security' screws requiring an odd-shaped bit to loosen them. However as I discovered you only need to loosen the crosshead screws and it all comes apart.
Mine is a 2018 bike, I have 3 heat levels right away

·
Registered
10 Posts
Installed mine a week ago. A few tips for anyone taking it up in the future. You do not need to remove the tank, just prop it up with a bit of 2x4. Be certain you DO NOT remove the security screws from the twist grip. You only need to remove the two standard phillips heads to release the grip. Getting the harness into the handlebars can be a bit of a pain. A light coating of silicone grease did the trick for me. The space between the airbox and the frame is too small to fit the connector without using a tool as a lever to push the airbox aside. You only need half inch or so and the connector will slip right up. I use a pair of forceps to grip the connector and the handle from a ratchet to pry the airbox away from the frame a bit.

Otherwise the grips get nice and toast. Expensive but probably the best option for this bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed mine roughly two weeks ago and have zero issues. I have a 2018 Street Triple R and assume my software was updated upon receiving the motorcycle and/or during my first service. The installation is very straightforward and easy as long as you follow the instructions. I took me about an hour and that was going over everything three times before starting. The most important thing is to take your time feeding the wires through. I fed the all the way through, then pulled the wiring harness back out as I slid the grips onto the bars. Sounds complicated but very straightforward. Even the twist-grip removal/install is easy. I have three heat modes out the gate and they get plenty warm with my fall/winter gloves on. I'm usually on the medium setting when riding in 40-degree temperature.

They are certainly pricey but the install is clean and seamless. You retain the original grip look/pattern - which is nice if you are a fan of that. TFT integration is sexy. No complaints!

Attachments

41 - 58 of 58 Posts