Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Has anyone installed these yourself? I read through the install instructions, and it seems pretty straightforward. Asked the dealer for a quote and he said that it can take them several hours to complete... is it something that a semi competent tinkerer can do himself?

- Thanx
- Jon

·
Registered
560 Posts
Here's the thing. I thought about doing the install myself as well, but then I found out that unless you let the dealer install the grips, you lose the 2 year warranty on them. I chose to spend the $100 or so to have them installed by the dealer in this case (most notably to have the option to make them fix them if they didn't work properly).

·
Registered
72 Posts
I installed them myself in well under an hour, like many things it's more fiddly than difficult. I hadn't realised that I'd lose the extended warranty on them so @vicenzajay makes a valid point there. On earlier bikes at least, there was a firmware update required to allow all 3 heat levels like it says in the fitting instructions (only 2 were available without it) so I badgered the dealer into doing for free. Don't let them fob you off if you need that doing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks guys! Don’t parts like this have a standard time for the dealer to charge you for? I mean, the dealer I asked said “it can take two hours or more” - what if it takes them 4 hours? That sounds ridiculous, of course, but if jannerman did it in less than an hour, then 2 sounds ridiculous too!

- Jon

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ok, thanks guys! Don’t parts like this have a standard time for the dealer to charge you for? I mean, the dealer I asked said “it can take two hours or more” - what if it takes them 4 hours? That sounds ridiculous, of course, but if jannerman did it in less than an hour, then 2 sounds ridiculous too!

- Jon
I got mine included when I bought my RS, but, in the discussion they told me it was $164 for labor to install them.

Took them between 1 and 1.5 hours to install them. That's the total time between me handing them the keys and them handing them back to me.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I believe it was one hour for me.....

And, yes - to echo what was said above, ensure they check your firmware. Earlier firmware on our models only gave two levels of heat. It should be three. They should check it, of course, but ensure you have three levels of heat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey All,

Installed the heated grips yesterday. The dealer wanted over $600 for the grips installed. Sorry, that's just ridiculous, IMO.

The hard part of the installation was getting the cables through the handlebars. Using flexible wire with electrical tape saved the day. Gotta get to the dealer to get the firmware updated since I only get 2 modes right now (the other thread on heated grips discusses the issues here...)

Had to drive home at night last night - the heat is nice! Loving it.

I got a bit of a deal if I bought 2 of those grip sets - I have another brand new set for sale if anyone want em.

- Jon

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much you want for them? Which dealer did you go to for that quote?
I'm asking $275 OBO. Lemme know if you want em. You are in San Jose? Semi local!

I got quotes from both Munroe Motors and Marin Speed Shop. Both were ridiculous. Munroe told me that I should just "get a vest." :)

- Jon

·
Registered
560 Posts
That's just ridiculous (on the overall $600 cost they quoted you). Wow.

Literally, once you do your first service, they'll update the bike's software. That update will take care of your 3 heat level issue, so if they won't do an update "for free" right now, the problem will be fixed the first time you bring it in for scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Aren't they only $260 from Triumph? My dealer usually hooks me up on accessories too, so probably even cheaper than the $260. Triumph San Jose grand opens the new showroom this Saturday so they may be feeling good and willing to deal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aren't they only $260 from Triumph? My dealer usually hooks me up on accessories too, so probably even cheaper than the $260. Triumph San Jose grand opens the new showroom this Saturday so they may be feeling good and willing to deal.
The dealers I spoke to said MSRP is 280 plus tax, but I’d let em go for $225.

If your special event dealer price doesn’t happen and I still have em, lemme know!

- Jon

·
Registered
46 Posts
JonSF-

Let me know if the heated grips become available as I might be interested. Anyone know if they work through grip puppies?

Bonehead

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JonSF-

Let me know if the heated grips become available as I might be interested. Anyone know if they work through grip puppies?

Bonehead
Hi Bonehead. They are available now if you want em.

Hm. They are pretty hot on the high setting and definitely go right through my pretty thick gloves, but I don't know if they'd make it through those or not.

I read (on here) that after you get the firmware update, that the highest setting is even higher than it is without the firmware, so I think that that'd be pretty damned hot...

- Jon

·
Registered
237 Posts
JonSF-

Bonehead
They are supposed to work through GPs....I'll be able to personally verify that fairly shortly (once fall actually arrives).
Everything I've read about Grip Puppies is that heated grips work just fine with them. They do, of course, take just a little bit longer for them to heat up, but that makes sense. If the couple places around here don't have GP's, I'm going to be ordering some this week.

On another note, about the quote of $600, that's insane. My dealer told me they were ~$260 for the grips and $165 for the install. I got them to include them in the deal when I bought the motorcycle. I'm glad the OP was able to install them and save the money!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Everything I've read about Grip Puppies is that heated grips work just fine with them. They do, of course, take just a little bit longer for them to heat up, but that makes sense.
That is consistent with what I have read on other motorcycle forums. Unfortunately, I think I am going to wait on the heated grips. My cool weather riding season is going to be cut short due to surgery. Good luck selling the grips!

Bone

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is consistent with what I have read on other motorcycle forums. Unfortunately, I think I am going to wait on the heated grips. My cool weather riding season is going to be cut short due to surgery. Good luck selling the grips!

Bone
No worries! Good luck healing quick!

- Jon

1 - 20 of 58 Posts