Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else done this? If so, can you confirm if wires were pre installed like the Truxton was? In general, is it possible to locate the sub harness connection without disassembling the headlight?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update after installing...the provided sub harness is needed for the install as there is no pre-wiring on the Speed Twin. The harness inside the headlight is not used at all and is a manufacturer precaution same as disconnecting the battery.

There is no reason to pay over $200 (American) for dealer install as the instructions are straightforward and the assistance provided here can get you through.

It took me 2 hours and 8 minutes. I had two issues that took up about a full hour to get past
1. The tri-sided bit I got from Ducati Spacers was made too soft and deformed itself upon use rather than turn the security screw. I found a replacement as part of a 33 piece security bit kit at Harbor Freight for $7.40 tax included. It took a while to give up trying to make the first cv-3 bit work.
2. I fiddled with the main harness connection forever trying to remove it from the holder without breaking the pinch tab then trying to remove the “blanking” cap (great name btw Triumph, so appropriate here) took a while as well.

I have not tested the volume of heat on a ride yet. But I did briefly confirm they work and function with the head unit to display status when the button is pressed. I’ll follow up once a full test on a cool day ride is done.

Moral of story-buy these as cheaply as you can. Take your time and install them yourself using available resources. They self activate and no dealer assistance or dealer tool is needed. Cheers!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another update...got a chance to ride for a couple of hours on a barely 50 degree day. The heated grips worked great and without issue. I’ve heard BMW guys say theirs were much hotter than these and based on my ride I can believe that is possibly true. The Triumph ones get hot enough, but I wouldn’t say they get extremely hot. After a while I could not feel any warmth coming from there, so I turned them off to see if I could tell the difference. I could. After a minute or so I could feel a cooling off effect. And not long after that my fingers started to feel cold. And strangely my feet too. I’d say that the heated grips help to keep you not cold rather than warm. And they do definitely allow you to focus on the ride more compared to thinking about getting warm again. These should work as I hoped in allowing me to ride on mornings that are colder than I could do before without them. This makes them totally worth the cost.
Last note: while the Triumph setup is nice and neat, on a Speed Twin there are still cords connected from the bars which are neat, but still visible. An Oxford set of grips from a wire standpoint is not much difference except for the big head unit control. If you don’t mind seeing the control unit, you can save $$

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Another update...got a chance to ride for a couple of hours on a barely 50 degree day. The heated grips worked great and without issue. I’ve heard BMW guys say theirs were much hotter than these and based on my ride I can believe that is possibly true. The Triumph ones get hot enough, but I wouldn’t say they get extremely hot. After a while I could not feel any warmth coming from there, so I turned them off to see if I could tell the difference. I could. After a minute or so I could feel a cooling off effect. And not long after that my fingers started to feel cold. And strangely my feet too. I’d say that the heated grips help to keep you not cold rather than warm. And they do definitely allow you to focus on the ride more compared to thinking about getting warm again. These should work as I hoped in allowing me to ride on mornings that are colder than I could do before without them. This makes them totally worth the cost.
Last note: while the Triumph setup is nice and neat, on a Speed Twin there are still cords connected from the bars which are neat, but still visible. An Oxford set of grips from a wire standpoint is not much difference except for the big head unit control. If you don’t mind seeing the control unit, you can save $$
I've had to turn mine off at times because they got too hot, perhaps it depends on the amount of insulation in the gloves that the heat has to penetrate thru? As for the wiring...Mine are routed thru the bars and exit thru the slotted hole in the center of the bars, between the risers, and disappear under the tank - they're hardly noticeable. Between the Triumph OEM and Oxfords, I'd still spend the extra money on the Triumph - besides the small integrated power button, you can't even tell they're heated grips. They're great to have for shorter runs when I don't feel like wiring up for my heated gloves.

Reactions: River Runner

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you so much for providing this. Looks like a job I am capable of, so I'm ordering them now. I appreciate your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts