Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys,
i am thinking about getting a heated waistcoat or jacket (for under my main jacket and i was wondering what experiences you have had with heated gear and which brand would be best for me in scotland? (scuse pun) and its recently been hitting -7C (dunno in farenheight sorry guys) but i also would love somthing to keep me going on cold summer days without cooking me alive.

There are so many fantastic empty roads in winter here but i just cannot manage a long ride out with the gear i have at the moment.

biggest factor is price unfortunately best bang for buck suggestions?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
255 Posts
I use the Gerbings heated jacket liner and as far as I'm concerned it is a fundamental piece of riding gear. Get the optional heat controller. I use mine under a Firstgear Kilimanjaro. With a long sleeved t shirt under it or similar you will stay very comfortable.
a friend bought the Firstgear heated jacket liner and it looks very good also, even has a couple of improvements over the Gerbings like having the glove connectors in zippered pouches in the sleeves but I would tend to stick with Gerbings, great service, lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've got a Widder heated vest. What I really like about this vest is the collar because it is heated also. There are optional arms that attach. Whichever you choose be sure to spend the extra for the electronic heat controller. It will enable you to dial in a temp and it stays there instead of your gear cycling up and down as the thermostat detects the temp.
Along with the heated grips and layering with Under Armor cold gear I stay toasty enough except for the coldest rides.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I use the Gerbings heated jacket liner and as far as I'm concerned it is a fundamental piece of riding gear. Get the optional heat controller. I use mine under a Firstgear Kilimanjaro. With a long sleeved t shirt under it or similar you will stay very comfortable.
a friend bought the Firstgear heated jacket liner and it looks very good also, even has a couple of improvements over the Gerbings like having the glove connectors in zippered pouches in the sleeves but I would tend to stick with Gerbings, great service, lifetime warranty.
+1 on Joe's recommendations for Gerbing. They are a fantastic piece of kit! I've used my Gerbings heated jacket liner and glove liners for about five years now and they perform flawlessly. Safety gear aside, they are easily the best motorcycle-related investment I've ever made.:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Gerbing for me too. been riding in the teens and twenties and still get to warm in the gear. Liner,gloves and duel controler are the way to go.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It depends on how tight your budget is. I'm as tight as a duck's bum, hence riding all year, all weathers on a 80 mile round trip commute. Age or something caused me to want to be warm,so two years ago I bought this piece of kit.
http://www.heat4jackets.com/
I also bought a thin waistcoat - the sort you see fishermen wear with lots of pockets in the front - just a cotton thing with a thin quilted lining, £8 from Matalan. I didn't want anything too bulky, hence this choice. Then a couple of hours of putting the jacket and the kit together gave me a heated waistcoat. When wearing the jacket, the cable reaches to just below the knee, which is plenty long enough to plug into the socket. When I get somewhere, the cable can go into one of the pockets. With the kit you get a socket to attach to the bike if it doesn't already have one, which is good - I put it on my winter hack, a Suzuki, so I can use that or the Tiger for work and still plug in.
I have now used it for two winters. Obviously it depends on what other clothing you wear, but I find if the temperature is 0 degrees celcius or above I don't need to plug in. Anything down to -3 celcius, I plug it in as I get about 20 minutes into the ride ( all on the motorway, so lots of wind chill), and leave it on. Any colder, plug in as I leave home, and leave it on the whole route.
I can honestly say, in 20 years of constant biking, this has made the biggest single difference to my life, apart from perhaps a Fog City visor shield. It's like being back in bed whilst riding the bike, I absolutely love it and won't be parted from it now. If it breaks, I'll just make another. I baulk at spending £80- £100 on this kind of thing, but £30 all-in is cheap as chips for the return you get.
The downsides - after all, there must be some.
I wear a uniform white shirt under my bike kit to go to work, and the waistcoat is uncomfortably hot if I wear it as the next layer. Hence, I wear a 'Cold Killer' top under the waistcoat as well - it doesn't offer a huge amount of warmth in itself, but it makes the waistcoat heat more comfortable.
Those of you who are more electrically adept, would do what I may well yet do, which is get a thermostat to wire into the circuit to be able to set a constant heat. If it's not too cold, i.e., over -2 or so, I plug in or unplug as I go along to avoid getting too warm. That is easy enough to do, but a regulator would be better. Having said that, being too warm beats the carp out of being too cold.
If you plan to wear something like this all year, a thermostsat would be a must. Maplins probably do something that fits the bill.
Cleaning? Sponge clean to avoid trouble with the electrics. There may be stuff out there to do thejob, I haven't looked, to be honest, but I don't smell, either.
Got lots of brass? Buy a ready made jacket, I'm sure they're great. No brass? Get this.

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
Widder and Gerbing usually get recommendations from their users. I've got Gerbing and it's served me well. Not inexpensive, however. My gloves and full liner are 7 years old and never a lick of trouble. Money well spent in my opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tour Master - Synergy

I dont know what the availability is like on your side of the pond, but you may want to consider Tourmaster Synergy electric apparel. One thing I noticed most of you mention is to buy the optional controler, Tourmaster comes with everything you need for one price, even the controler. They are also water proof, machine washable and use carbon fiber elements so they draw less amps than the other brands. Get more info at www.tourmaster.com.

To be completely transparent, if this sounds like a comercial, I do work for Tourmaster as a rep.

J-Dub
01 Tiger 955i

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've had Gerbings in the past, and replaced them with Tourmaster Synergy when they wore out. The Tourmaster is by far the bigger bang for the buck- I think the price difference for the jacket (with controller) alone was $80.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Wore my Widder vest and gloves this morning. 34F (1C) when I left the house, did 25 miles and arrived toasty. Yes it does get cold in the Arizona desert!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts