Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back in the spring in the Smokies I was talking to a bunch of guys around a campfire about heated gear. Turns out quite a few people make their own. After reading a bit and talking to a few people I've started making a heated jacket liner. If this works out I'll move on to gloves and maybe pant liners. I ride year round and really only need heated gloves for my commute but if I can make myself warm it'll open a wider range of riding. I'm not hard core, didn't even respond to that thread (seems a bit self fulfilling to me). This thread is for those that have made their own gear or want to. I'm electronically ignorant so I'll be counting on the electrical engineers at work to help with the stuff I can't figure out. I have read enough to know about what length of wire to use for each circuit of gear. I'm going with 28' of #30 teflon coated wire for my jacket liner. That should draw 60W at maximum output.

First you have to lay out your wire for the liner or vest. I used the 28' of wire and painters tape to get it where I wanted it, then stitched the another length of wire in using the original wire as a guide. I'll use that other length for gloves or pants.

layout...

Stitched in place my liner looks like this (inside out)...

I've kept most of the wire just under the thin liner layer closest to my body. The stitches that are exposed are as small as I could make them so I don't snag them when putting my jacket on. The liner is inside out in that photo.

Tools required so far...

Note: beer and smokes are at the top of the list. So far I've got about 3 hours into the layout and stitching.

I'll be having the engineer at work put together a controller. The board is available online for around $20 and the case another $10, way cheaper than prebuilt units from Gerbings, etc. I'll post links as I purchase this stuff.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I'm not hard core, didn't even respond to that thread (seems a bit self fulfilling to me).
Im glad Im not the only one...;)

So far I've got about 3 hours into the layout and stitching. I'll be having the engineer at work put together a controller. The board is available online for around $20 and the case another $10, way cheaper than prebuilt units from Gerbings, etc. I'll post links as I purchase this stuff.
I think its cool that youre attempting this and I hope it works...but...how much money are your really saving vs the time and effort you will need to put into it...

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Im glad Im not the only one...;)

I think its cool that youre attempting this and I hope it works...but...how much money are your really saving vs the time and effort you will need to put into it...
The jacket liner hasn't cost anything so far and I might be able to get the plugs at work. The guy that gave me the wire just bout 3 more spools for around $3 a spool (100 feet each I think). The controller will be around $30 compared to $100+ prebuilt. Big savings and I'm all about that, more money for bike maintenance.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Seriously, this is very very cool. I would have never even thought to attempt it. Kudos.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone who makes their own heated gear is definitely hard core.

:)
This ain't the hardcore thread Junipero. It's the "I don't wanna be cold and I'm too cheap to buy the expensive stuff so I'll make my own" thread.:D

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
This thread is for those that have made their own gear or want to. I'm electronically ignorant so I'll be counting on the electrical engineers at work to help with the stuff I can't figure out.

I rode all last winter due to a lack of snow. Lowest temp I endured was -18 Celsius. I did not make my own electrical gear but I did fart in my Gortex pants to keep warm a couple of times. :eek:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I rode all last winter due to a lack of snow. Lowest temp I endured was -18 Celsius. I did not make my own electrical gear but I did fart in my Gortex pants to keep warm a couple of times. :eek:
Last year was easy here too but I did ride one day in 4F. Heated gloves would have been nice but the jacket was fine unheated for my commute. I'm looking at the heated gear as a way to get extended rides in instead of just to work and back. This isn't going to be a gentle winter...I'm betting.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Lots of hardcore, low-temp riders in here.

I tried sticking a space heater under my jacket but the damn cord was too short. When I did find a long enough cord, the damn thing caught my jacket on fire.

Ride's idea for DIY warmth seems much better.

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
This isn't going to be a gentle winter...I'm betting.
I think you're right. Last year was a fluke. First time in almost 40 years where I actually used the 12 months bike insurance for every month. ;)

P.S. Edit: It wasn't the cold that concerned me. It was the fact that in the middle of winter drivers don't expect to see a motorcyclist so they failed to "see" me. Made riding a bit more dangerous than normal. Since you've got the electrics already built in to the gear, you may want to add some extra lights for visibility.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lots of hardcore, low-temp riders in here.

I tried sticking a space heater under my jacket but the damn cord was too short. When I did find a long enough cord, the damn thing caught my jacket on fire.

Ride's idea for DIY warmth seems much better.
Might be better not being plugged into the livingroom socket but I'm soft core, what do I know.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Not me, I found a website called HeatedGearOutlet or HeatedClothingOutlet or some such and got a nice Gerbings liner for $70 that was the previous year's model and a much cheaper heated controller as well!
Good deals on liners there but the controllers are full retail price. The only jacket liner they have for men is $99, great price but....only size available is XXS. How many riders are that tiny? I might splurge for a dual controller but I'll let my engineer here at work do his voodoo first. He got all excited when I showed him the wired liner with dangling wires waiting for plugs.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
I'm down with this idea, ride. Sometimes it's not about saving some money, it's about making something yourself. Very cool.

I was wondering, I don't know what the inside of my heated liner looks like, in terms of how much wire is in there, but do you think you have enough wiring in that liner to make it work?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm down with this idea, ride. Sometimes it's not about saving some money, it's about making something yourself. Very cool.

I was wondering, I don't know what the inside of my heated liner looks like, in terms of how much wire is in there, but do you think you have enough wiring in that liner to make it work?
I used 28' per a friend I know that made his. Others use 30-36' but that actually reduces the heat output so it doesn't get as hot. Shorter is better...sometimes.:D I'd rather have to turn it down and draw less power since I'll be on the DR most of the winter and the available power is less than on the Tiger. It should work fine.
Decided to skip heated gloves and go with something along the lines of Hippo Hands. I'm not paying $89 for those so I already made a trip to the fabric shop tonight and will be making my own if I can find the right materials.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts