Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a brief ride today seeing as I had the day off. Decided it was chilly and put my heated gear on. anyway, I purchased the gerbings jacket and pants liner set and I run it off the powerlet adapter by my left knee. Trouble is the wiring rubs on the tank and mars the finish plus the knob to adjust heat temperature is really awkward. I hook it on my belt loop but my jacket covers it and it really doesn;t attach securly. Anybody have any other solutions. Lets keep the jokes about moving to a warmer climate to a minimum please

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can buy a sheet of clear plastic and cut it to fit the sides of the tank near the seat. It is not real visible and protects your paint. That is what the previous owner put on my bike and it works nice. I used the supplied battery connectors and ran them between the seat and tank near my left thigh. On my Joe Rocket jacket, I have cinch straps on the sides that I attach the controller to. It is not the easiest to use with the Gerbing gloves but I usually set it about half way and leave it unless I am really cooking or freezing.

~chip

·
Registered
387 Posts
I also found the accessory outlet to be in a really awkward spot for heated clothing so I installed 2 Powerlets on the left side rear, mounted on the inner rear footpeg support, one controlled by a Heatroller mounted in the left fairing infill just below the left bar with the other one always hot. Installed a 4 circuit fuse block run off a 30A fuse wired to the battery with the Heatroller and the unswitched outlet wired into 15A fuses. Once used to the position of the outlet, it is really easy to plug in while seated.
A 3A fuse powers my GPS.
I use the factory accessory outlet to power my tankbag which contains my Starcom and other electronics that need power.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to post pics on this site.

·
Registered
203 Posts
+1 on the use of the clear paint protection film. As for the location of the thremostat, I've used a little piece of self adhesive to connect it to the frame below the gas tank where I can easily reach down and adjust it, I tuck all the wires down into the faring bundled up with a wire tie. not perfect but it works pretty well.

Sprintboy

·
Registered
322 Posts
Google techspec, thats where I bought mine for my bike. (ummm, yeah....the protective sheets they are talking about)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I ran into the same problem. Even with the clear film, I still had the wire in the way. I ended up running power into my tank bag. I never use the powerlet connector anymore...This of course only helps if you use a tank bag.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've thought about how my heated gear plugged into the powerlet/BMW plug would rub painted parts. But my real concern now is how to keep it plugged in! I've unplugged myself twice now when riding my normal(read agressive) pace. I guess I'm not supposed to lean off at all when plugged in? heh

·
Registered
57 Posts
Another reason to use the supplied battery pigtail that comes with the heated clothes (at least gerbing's does). I have put on over 3000 miles in the last month with my heated gear and never had it accidentally come undone. It doesn't get in the way when I move around on the bike and I have just enough wire that I can get off, then unplug it if I have to.

~chip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts