Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys,
i am thinking about getting a heated waistcoat or jacket (for under my main jacket and i was wondering what experiences you have had with heated gear and which brand would be best im in bonnie scotland? (scuse pun) and its recently been hitting -7C (dunno in farenheight sorry guys) but i also would love somthing to keep me going on cold summer days without cooking me alive.

There are so many fantastic empty roads in winter here but i just cannot manage a long ride out with the gear i have at the moment.

biggest factor is price unfortunately best bang for buck suggestions?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
249 Posts
Gerbing is the best
The heated vest and gloves can run off a battery pack worn on the waist which is great
the Jacket is also excellent but does not run off the battery you will need to hard wire it to the bike
Their one year warranty is perfect. I had a problem with the liner and they fixed it for free.

Hiya guys,
i am thinking about getting a heated waistcoat or jacket (for under my main jacket and i was wondering what experiences you have had with heated gear and which brand would be best im in bonnie scotland? (scuse pun) and its recently been hitting -7C (dunno in farenheight sorry guys) but i also would love somthing to keep me going on cold summer days without cooking me alive.

There are so many fantastic empty roads in winter here but i just cannot manage a long ride out with the gear i have at the moment.

biggest factor is price unfortunately best bang for buck suggestions?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hi, the best heated jacket and gloves believe it or not are made in Bonny Scotland in Lanarkshire. The web site is [email protected]
My husband has their gloves and they are excellent, the waist coat gets rave write ups from everybody, and the company is excellent to deal with, and price wise you will find most of the makes are roughly the same.

I agree with you about the biking roads in Scotland, they are the best in the UK, we are up there at least three times a year, mainly based near Inverness.

Plasma

·
Registered
745 Posts
a few years back I bought a full set of Gerbings...I can vouch for their stuff...heated clothes open up a whole other wing of the house.

jacket liner is the one piece you really want...it has heat down the sleeves and around the collar. can be worn from mid-60F as a windbreaker alone on down with additional layers.

pants liner is nice but I don't use them

socks are killer for warm feet but bulky and I rarely use them

gloves are killer with individual finger wires but bulky...I don't use them.

they have a controller for a thermostat so you have full and precise control over more or less heat as desired.

when I first got the stuff I took it out for a test on a 32-F day (0-C) where I had to watch for ice on the road...was out for 60 miles and 3 hours or so in perfect comfort...the only cold spot was the visor of the full face helmet cracked for condensation. they are absolutely good for lower temps if you have the nerve.

if you can keep the core temp up, the extremities have a fighting chance.

jacket liner and controller alone will run you a bit more than $200 I believe...but you too will rave.

the Bonneville electrical system is rated at 37 Amps or so, and the load for the full set of heated clothes on 2 controls is fused at 15A, so you're good.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I have a mix of Gerbing & WarmNSafe stuff. The wife has Widder. They're all great.

WarmNSafe offers discounts to some club members. RAT or AMA may qualify.
You can save a few bucks on the WarmNSafe gear with no sacrifice of quality.

Get a Powerlet outlet to hook the stuff up.

Heated gear is the only way to go if you're an extended-season rider!

·
Registered
66 Posts
My take on Widder:
1. Widder vest are GREAT but their gloves are terrible. If all you want is a vest, Widder will do just fine for keeping your core toasty.
2. Widder gloves are just plain crap. When they work they are fine but mine shorts out multiple times per riding season and I have just given up shipping them back to Widder for repair. My buddy had the same issue and purchased through a different vendor so I don't believe I got a "lemon" glove.

My take on Gerbing:
1) expensive.
2) expensive.

My friend took the plunge after numerous Widder glove failures and forked out the 500.00 for the gerbing jacket/gloves combo with thermostat. He purchased the connector that hooks both directly up to the battery which is much easier than hardwiring into the fuse box. After two riding seasons he swears by Gerbing.

WarmNSafe
Now that company interests me a bit. Cheaper than Gerbing but uses similiar technology.

Overal recomendations:
1) Might as well get the jacket and skip the vest. If your core is cold your arms are cold, period. Might as well warm up your whole torso with a vest.

2) Do not get the on/off switch! Spend the extra money and get the thermostat.

Heated gear has reached the status that my helmet has in the winter, I always have it on. I have ridden for 10 years before purchasing a set and constantly wonder why I never forked out the cash before. Being cold and shivering is not safe nor is it an indicator of a "true biker" so I say pick a vendor and take the plunge!

Kevin...

·
Registered
325 Posts
+ 1 on heated clothing. I have been using electric vests for many years. Heated gear works best when it is close to your skin over a t-shirt rather than over a sweater. Buy one that fits snugly without impeding movement; you will get more bang for the buck that way. Aerostitch sells a heated vest that has an air bladder that you inflate to hold heat close to your body and add additional insulation. I haven't tried that one, but it seems like a good idea. Watch out for ice...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I bought a Tourmaster jacket liner and think it's better than the Widder vest I used to own. It has heated arm sleeves and the neck/collar section covers well. The controller gives you 3 heat settings and the price is reasonable - $161. The jacket liner is prewired for heated gloves but I don't have them. My Scrambler seems to have enough electrical capacity to power the jacket liner without any problems.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Hi, the best heated jacket and gloves believe it or not are made in Bonny Scotland in Lanarkshire. The web site is [email protected]
My husband has their gloves and they are excellent, the waist coat gets rave write ups from everybody, and the company is excellent to deal with, and price wise you will find most of the makes are roughly the same.

I agree with you about the biking roads in Scotland, they are the best in the UK, we are up there at least three times a year, mainly based near Inverness.

Plasma
Hi Plasma
that is the email address:eek::eek: The website is http://www.exo2.co.uk/.
Very nice looking stuff, and if a Scottish company can't make stuff for this [email protected] weather then no one can:D:D
Phil

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've had the Aerostich for a couple years now. It has a couple features I like. First, it has inflatable air blatters to get the heat as close to you as possible. There is an "air blocker" material on one side and a fleece on the other, it's reversible. But with the fleece facing out it's warmer (you are closer to the heating element). It also has a built in pouch so you can fold it into itself for easy storage. I eventually added an optional thermostat that adjusts the temp without messing with a control once set.

The sleeves zip off and the collar is heated but the new ones have the option of non zip heated sleeves.

Quality is first rate but it's pricy. Overall, it will add many days to your riding season and a ton of comfort!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Widder, Gerbing, etc.

Carol and I started out with Widder vests and gloves back a couple of decades.
Widder gloves were too bulky for my liking, but I still have them stashed away somewhere.
We upgraded Carol to a Gerbing jacket liner, gloves, and the single thermostat.
Having the glove wiring in place in the jacket is VERY nice!
Now, Gerbing has updated the jacket liner, and offers a thermostat which allows separate adjustments for the gloves and jacket, if I understand their brochure correctly.
We never had any failures on either the Widder or the Gerbing products.
The Gerbing stuff seems to have been further improved over the Widder, but you DO pay for it.
So, come Bike Week this march, new Gerbing stuff will join the Frog Togs rainsuits in the boot!
Bob

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently bought tourmasters heated vest and have been quite happy with it. I wear that, something light over it to keep the heat in and my leather jacket and have been comfy in temps down into the high 30's without having to turn it on the high setting yet.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I got a set of Firstgear heated gloves and jacket liner and it brings joy to my rides here in New England. FYI we are in the middle of one of the coldest winters in a long while ... first time I put them on and started my bike, I instantly felt the warmness. My riding buddy and I swear by it!

I have a dual controller that allows me to adjust jacket and gloves separately. I don't even need the warm lining in my motorcycle jacket to ride.

Gloves: $120
Liner: $180
Heat-troller: $80

I think my bike loves the cold air!

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb3.nsf/Products/BDE81FA82FD049C086257340005D8A7F?opendocument

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I have a collarless Widder vest with a variable thermostat.
My core has never been cold and in fact can be hot enough to sweat if the setting is too high.
The vest requires only a very thin shirt beneath and they recommend not wearing anything heavy between the vest and the skin; the vest really Is that effective.

Now if I had heated grips and seat I'd be a happy camper, but that's not happening on my Thunderbird.

PS: I just looked up Widder.......R.I.P....they went belly up.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I'm using a Gerbings jacket liner with First Gear gloves controlled by the Gerbings thermostat. The gloves are less bulky than others I've tried and they do the job quite nicely; of course, I've also got the heated grips, as well.

I really hate cold hands: Jim

·
Registered
266 Posts
+1 Gerbings for me

Gerbings have been keeping me toasty warm for the last few winters. Jacket liner, riding pants, socks, gloves, and thermostat. I've left on some rides where it was around 10F and been comfortable with it. I usually don't mind the heat or cold so long as my body is moving, but just sitting still with little physical exertion will chill me right out. I usually turn it all the way up, & don't back the setting down til I smell the bacon burning.
I had a wire in the jacket liner wimp out on me last year. Contacted them while they were in the process of moving the whole company to larger quarters, and I had the jacket back in my hands in less than 3 weeks working like new. Didn't cost me a thing except postage to get it to them. Hard to beat a warranty like that.
If my controller should ever go bad I'd consider the dual unit from Warm n Safe. My buddy has one mounted on the infill on his Sprint. Its a quality unit that blends in well. All you see is the control knob, the jack, and I think a power LED.
Seems like each manufacturer has its own design highpoints. All I can tell you is that a lot of the guys riding the Polar Bear tour have been using Gerbings for years, and its held up very well under the abuse that I've delivered.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm not so sure if leaving a thin layer between the liner and your skin is such a good idea. I went for a 2.5 hour ride in some 30F weather and with the liner turned all the way up (mmm warm and toasty) when I got home I had slight burn all over my chest and arms! It looked sort of like a sunburn. Mind you that I have a rather hardcore thick winter FieldSheer jacket to begin with and just a tshirt underneath.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd second the Aerostitch option. I've had a BMW heated vest for years which works great, but just got an Aerostitch vest for my wife and am very impressed. We didn't get the air bladder version, just the one with windstopper, and it is well made, reasonably priced, and works great.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts