Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gang,
I bought some tan colored heat wrap from DEI and some silicone spray as well but I've been noticing in videos how dark the wrap looks after spraying. Anyone have experience with the tan wrap and silicone spray? I don't wanna mess with it if it's gonna make the wrap look black

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wrapped 2 of my bikes with a tan wrap, never silicone sprayed them. While speaking to a hot rod shop, this builder told me there were 2 schools of thought, sealing with a silicone spray retains moisture as it is retained and not allowed to dry out and rusts out the pipes much quicker. Not using a spray air dries the wrap quicker.

So in my case no spray and in 6 years no issues and when I wash the bike I sometimes wrap the down pipes in aluminum foil. Been caught in heavy downpours and dries out.

Others may have a difference of opinion, but I'm satisfied with mine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
15 ft will not be enough. I recall the roll size was 50ft and I may have used roughly half, so 25-30 ft.....just to be sure

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm actually not sure how I wound up with a 15 foot roll, considering most are 50. It is a 2 inch wrap so I guess it will cover more but I'm definitely going to need another roll

15 ft will not be enough. I recall the roll size was 50ft and I may have used roughly half, so 25-30 ft.....just to be sure

·
Banned
742 Posts
Just a tip... You don't have to spray the wrap. Spray the pipes.

The silicone will protect the pipes from rust, and the wraps will stay as is.

Quote:
"The High Temperature (HT) Silicone Coating provides lasting protection for any hot surface up to 1500 degrees. DEI recommend the use of this coating with their exhaust wrap because it seals the material and provides lasting protection from oil, dirt and road grime. Don't limit the use to exhaust header wrap, this products works well on headers, blocks, starters and even on your grill at home. HT Silicone Coating is VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) compliant in all 50 states."

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/design-engineering-hi-temp-silicone-coating-spray-black-010301/16120018-P

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh cool, I've never heard that before, thanks for the info!

Just a tip... You don't have to spray the wrap. Spray the pipes.

The silicone will protect the pipes from rust, and the wraps will stay as is.

Quote:
"The High Temperature (HT) Silicone Coating provides lasting protection for any hot surface up to 1500 degrees. DEI recommend the use of this coating with their exhaust wrap because it seals the material and provides lasting protection from oil, dirt and road grime. Don't limit the use to exhaust header wrap, this products works well on headers, blocks, starters and even on your grill at home. HT Silicone Coating is VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) compliant in all 50 states."

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/design-engineering-hi-temp-silicone-coating-spray-black-010301/16120018-P

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anyone know if you are able to wrap the headers on the Arrow exhausts? I've heard so many different stories about what you can and can't wrap that I'm confused if it will ruin them or not.

Also thanks RatZombie, I had never heard of spraying the headers directly instead of the wrap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought wrapping titanium exhausts or what not could ruin them? Like I said I'm trying to figure all this out before doing it. I live in Colorado so humidity isn't a problem. I just love the look of the headers wrapped

·
Banned
742 Posts
Very good point. I did not consider exotic metals.

I just found this...

Quote:
"Note about Titanium Exhaust Systems:
DEI does NOT recommend wrapping Titanium exhausts. The alloys used in the production of titanium exhaust systems tend to be thin and are designed to dissipate heat quickly. By wrapping the exhaust, the additional heat can make the titanium alloy turn brittle and prone to premature cracking. DEI recommends using alternatives such as our flexible heat shields when seeking to reduce the heat on titanium exhaust systems."

https://www.designengineering.com//category/catalog/dei-cycle/motorcycle-exhaust-pipe-wrap-kits/titanium-exhaust-wrap-lr-technology

Titanium Pipe Shield - Exhaust Heat Shield

https://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/design-engineering-inc/exhaust-wraps-accessories/titanium-pipe-shield

·
Registered
20 Posts
First DinoZ where did you get those luggage bags man? like them a lot.

Second. The spray is up to you. I have a green Thruxton with tan wraps and Love it. Get comments on it all the time. I used the spray and still had some discolor as well up towards the valve of course. PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOURS TURNED OUT AND WHAT YOU DID!

·
Registered
131 Posts
First DinoZ where did you get those luggage bags man? like them a lot.

Second. The spray is up to you. I have a green Thruxton with tan wraps and Love it. Get comments on it all the time. I used the spray and still had some discolor as well up towards the valve of course. PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOURS TURNED OUT AND WHAT YOU DID!

Ha ha, yea the bags...first off as we know this bike has no storage and I hate bulging pockets. I had one as a man bag and bought another then fabricated and welded up a stealth support system, works great. Other riders ask me all the time. My cost was like $30/bag.

Got them online at www.modernmanbags.com, let me know if you need to see setup.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Lots of guys go for a full 1/2 overlap. You don't need that much.
In fact one of the links I posted recommends just a 1/4" overlap. That alone will save you several feet of tape.

·
Registered
138 Posts
What is the best wrap to use? I was looking at some on Amazon and many reviews state that the black fades to white pretty quickly and the smell is bad for a long time, but "that's what you get for $20". I'm willing to pay much more for good quality, but I just don't know what that is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts