Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im interested in heat wrapping my mufflers to keep heat down in the back for when I install rear tail/saddle bags.

anyone had issues with stainless and wrapping? anyone had cracking problems or anything?

i don't have any experience wrapping, but the mufflers and stainless look like there good quality from factory. I also don't think the wrap will cause and type of rusting on the stainless

if the factory manifold doesn't have cracking problems I'd consider wrapping a fair amount of the exhaust

·
Registered
300 Posts
A friend wrapped the tubing underneath the subframe and down towards the underside of the bike. He didn't do the cans. It feels a little cooler. Changed the sound of the exhaust too. If you're concerned about heat you should probably get a low boy exhaust.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
id like to get a 3-1, but i just bought the bike and dont have the coin to cough up for exhaust that seems unnecessary with proper precautions. Plus before I cough up a grand I'm gonna try and make my own 3-1 since there modifications to factory exhaust system is extremely basic

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sure. There are a couple other lowboy options besides the Arrow kit that's a grand. Let us know how the custom exhaust comes along.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I wrapped the "mid" pipe from behind the O2 sensor to the mufflers to cut down on under-the-seat heat; works very well. I did not wrap the mufflers though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have seen a lot of stainless exhausts crack after wrapping. Usually the closer to the engine the higher the chance of cracks. Proceed with caution.

FWIW. I could touch my twin arrows after hours of riding, and they were not extremely hot. Stright through exhausts hold less heat in than restictive exhausts.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have seen a lot of stainless exhausts crack after wrapping. Usually the closer to the engine the higher the chance of cracks. Proceed with caution.

FWIW. I could touch my twin arrows after hours of riding, and they were not extremely hot. Stright through exhausts hold less heat in than restictive exhausts.
Good point :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

ya ive seen lots of race cars wrapped. but it was never me wrapping them. I always ended up with cheaper headers and didn't want to risk cracking welds on hard enough find parts for my track car.

i've seen **** loads of cheap ebay or cheap stainless manifold crack from heat wrapping because there low quality and thin stainless. A properly wrapped high quality stainless manifold...should.... go atleast a few years before showing if any signs of problems. But automotive temps get much higher then a bike IMO as you have more air restriction around vital components to help with cooling. I've heard of guys touching some pretty obscene underhood temps when they start using there power. like even your exhaust temps heat up your oil filter a few degrees.... you've changed the entire librication properties and longevity of the oil. and more heat means thinner oil. whether bikes would create this problem with air flow... id say doubtful.... maybe after a few hours of riding exhaust might be ambiently be able to warm the filter in traffic or something.

you are 100% correct on the less restriction means less heat. I would really like exhaust for my bike. but I think I'm going to drill out some of the restrictor plate in the stock cans to get noise up abit. might even help with muffler temps.

the theory behind wrapping is keeping the exhaust as hot as possible for as long as possible. as the exhaust cools the engine pulses deminish and the exhaust velocity slows down. so in thoery if you can keep your temps higher the exhuast "should" flow more efficiently

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.