Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright mates - here's my tale, sad but true:
My '05 Tiger passed 43,000 miles and the muffler heat shield began to vibrate loose. :eek: I have the TOR can and the shield is held on with the ubiquitous pop rivets. A little searching on the forum tells me that this is an easy fix, just drill out the old rivets and replace to tighten up. Okay, I used to have a rivet tool, where is that thing? Much searching bore no fruit, fortunately my neighbor had one to borrow. Great, I run to the store and purchase a package of 1/8" rivets, go back home to find that these are much too small. Back to the store and purchase a package of 5/32" rivets, go back home and find these are also too small. Hey let's go back to the store for a package of those 3/16" rivets and how about some 3/16" washers for good measure. These work best and this is as close as I can get, but the shield is still loose! :mad: Can any of you wizened chaps give me some tips? I suppose Triumph sells the correct size for $9/3 rivets.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a great idea, Bill. I'll do some looking around town. Where did you get your hardware?

I agree about the application of the pop rivets not being optimal, but they did their job just fine for about 35,000 miles!

Cheers,
Brian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.