Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and the ST has caught my eye and my possible next bike for obvious reasons. What I have read about and have questions regarding the heat on the lower right side, the vibration affecting the mirrors and the seat being somewhat too soft and eventually ending on on the plastic resulting in an uncomfortable ride.

This is what I have read in an '05 (I believe) review write-up in Motorcyclist mag. Can any of you comment on these?

BTW - I have considered the 6th gen VFR but the ST seems more practical as far as ownership goes.

TIA,
Moobs!

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
...questions regarding the heat on the lower right side, the vibration affecting the mirrors and the seat
Howdy and Welcome Moobs,

The Sprint is a wonderful bike. I can't say enough about how much I enjoy mine.

Heat - '06 models and on have the "heat kit" (foam insulation) + aftermarket pipes get rid of even more heat.

Mirrors - It ain't no Gold Wing, but really not that bad for a sport bike.

Seat - The stock Sprint seat (I have an '06) is the most comfortable stock seat that I've ever owned in 39 years of riding and I'm a fat dude.

These are really no issues to me. :cool:

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Hi Moobs, I have an 08... I switched the seat out for a Triumph gel seat and I love it... gonna put a sheepskin on as well though.... mirrors - vibrate a bit, but still perfectly useable... overall, LOVE the bike and the more I ride it, the more I love it....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2008 and the heat is not a concern. Note that I usually wear leather pants when I ride too. I don't find it to be that much different from other faired bikes that I've ridden.

My experience is there are no issues with the mirrors. In fact, the mirrors are better than most of the other bikes I've owned, IMO.

I shaved down the seat foam to fit my arse. I've not owned a single bike where I didn't either replace or re-shape the seat. Seat shape and firmness is a relatively personal choice so I wouldn't depend on the advice or opinion of others with regards to seats.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the forum Moobs:)

Are you in the USA or where? Enquiring minds would like to know:D

Donski and I ask our new members to have a quick squizz of our forum stickies please.

Enjoy the forum.
DaveM:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
First of all let me say I am very impressed with the quick response I have received from my post just this afternoon! If this is an indication of the support this forum offers, then I home! :D

As to the heat, heck I get that from my 650 (ninja). I really am impressed with not only the styling of this ride but the trip 1050. My neighbor has an S3, beautiful bike it is! Myself, I'm looking for well more if a sport touring ride with more on the sport side. I believe this is it. I still have some homework to do and need to convince the CFO of the family (read that as wife).

Thanks guys!!

Moobs
BTW - Yes, USA southern CA! Will check out the quiz too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Read the sticky for newbies and you won't have an issue with me! I believe the article I read in Motorcyclist was spot-on when it referred to the ST appealing to more mature riders (geez am I getting old LOL).

No problem!!;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
And as for mirrors - there is a post here somewhere that talks about taking out the glass, doing a quick dremel on the limiter. This will allow you to see past the elbows and for me reduced vibe too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts