Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total green horn here. I am starting to work on my t100r but I have a question? I have some frozen bolts that I am putting penatrating oils on and I am wondering what ways that you guys add heat. I haven't got all of the grime off of the motor yet and I am a little hesitant about taking a torch to it all. Is there any other ways that you add heat?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Depends where the nut or bolt is. Blow torch, oven, oven hob, soldering iron and welding rod can all be used. In some cases, even petrol and a match. Very good for pistons but take great care - make sure it is a small amount of petrol, out doors and stand well back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the ideas. I'll get creative. I've got hair dryers, space heaters, soldering iron, propane torch, heat tape, bean bags, and lots of petrol. Sounds like I need to buy another fire extinquisher!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the impact wrench idea. I had previously avoided it because I was afraid it might just pop the bolt head right off.

The ones that I have the most concern about are some of the cover bolts. 6 or 7 of them have phillips heads on them, and are rusty. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Be careful with case screws as the thread in the casings is quite fine and easily damaged. Plenty of release oil and leave 24hrs. One tap with an impact driver only. If not successful repeat cycle, perhaps with a little heat before the release oil. If still unsuccessful, consider drilling heads off carefully so releasing outer case and revealing screw shafts. Plenty of release oil can now be applied directly to threads, a little heat and gently tap the shaft. Grip shaft with wrench. The screw threads will no longer be under tension and should move easily without any damage to casing.

The Phillips screws are easily replaced, the casing threads are not.

Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts