Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it was a few years ago, but I remember there was a thread on bearing conversions for the headstock on our bikes. The Triumph bearings apparently are not side load bearings. I had bought bearings for the conversion and never got around to it, but I found the bearings in a drawer tonight and would like to go ahead and change them out. OK, I have two types of bearings and need to know if someone remembers the numbers. I think the bottom bearing is a 7205A or 30205A tapered roller and I also have a bearing not tapered type marked 7205B For some reason I have two of the 7205B type. Any help or direction to the original thread is appreciated. I tried a search and found one thread, but not really an answer.

Thanks,

TT

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Those numbers don't mean anything to me TT but the bottom bearing is a taper roller 30/55/17 - pretty common size in motorcycle usage.
Pretty much all late-model suzukis (99+) use this size bearing on the bottom also (although the suzukis use ball races)

The top bearing on the Triumph is a 25/52/15 which is a 6205 ball race.

You can get full TR Top/Bottom kits incl the dust seals from AllBallsRacing for $38.

Edit - 7205B is the std top bearing
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit1088

The 30/55/17 also goes by 32006

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
D, that link to VBX is the two bearing set I bought along with the tapered bearing. I thought the angular contact was the bearing needed, but was not standard. The tapered I was thinking is for the botton yoke. I was just trying to remember why I ordered these specific berings. Do you hasppen to have a part number from all balls for the taper kit, thanks. TT

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
I prefer the TR myself for both locations.
You can't go wrong though if already have the OEM spec bearing

You can find the part number using the 'finder' on the AllBalls site
They only sell the kit though, which is the both top & bottom TR bearings plus new dust seals.
The Sprint is indeed same - at least up till 2005 MY when both are now 30/55/17.

Here's some tips for removing/setting the bottom bearing with just a piece of conduit and a threaded rod & nuts.

When pressing the new shells for the steering head, a good tip (from my good friend oldndumb) is to take the old bearing, cut a split in the side and use it as a 'driver' to fully seat the bearing shell all the way to the seat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts