Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
30,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not an oil thread. I don't care what oil you use, whether you like one brand over another, or how often you change it.

BUT - Castrol 10W-50, as specified by Triumph for the Tigers (they also say 10W-40), is typically expensive. I have only ever found it between 12 bucks and 15 bucks a quart, depending on whether bought from Dennis Kirk or a dealer.

Well, I have been checking amazon.com for it periodically, and they just started selling it. Currently at $46.05 for a pack of 6 1 quart containers. Yep, that's $7.68 a quart. That is a feckin bargain (relatively).

Thought I'd give ya's all a heads up on it. If you have amazon prime it doesn't even cost you shipping.

So if your preferred oil is the 10W-50, then this is probably good news for you. I just ordered 2 six packs, since I am due an oil change this week, and then it'll keep me going well into 2013 as well.

:doublethumb

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hey Prop, how often do you change your oil?
How do you think Castrol compares with Mobil 1?
What is the difference in viscosity between 10-40 and 10-50?
LOL...

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I just ordered two six-packs @ $47.20 ea., or $7.86/qt w/free Super Saver shipping. So it's still a good deal comparatively. Even better, I had $20.68 Amazon Rewards points applied, which made my net cost $6.14/qt.

Wow. I never thought I'd be happy paying "only" $6.14 for a quart of motor oil!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have pretty good deal on Motul 10W50 semi-synthetic here at my local motorcycle parts. It's what my dealer put in all bikes when it's time for an oil change.

Personnaly, the stock Castrol in my engine fall on the floor at the 1000km mark and after that, never use Castrol again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's interesting David L. Just had my '13 Scram serviced and Motul 10W50 full synth was the replacement oil used. My initial thought was dealer bought cheap oil, but sounds like you're ok with it.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
This is not an oil thread. I don't care what oil you use, whether you like one brand over another, or how often you change it.

BUT - Castrol 10W-50, as specified by Triumph for the Tigers (they also say 10W-40), is typically expensive. I have only ever found it between 12 bucks and 15 bucks a quart, depending on whether bought from Dennis Kirk or a dealer.

Well, I have been checking amazon.com for it periodically, and they just started selling it. Currently at $46.05 for a pack of 6 1 quart containers. Yep, that's $7.68 a quart. That is a feckin bargain (relatively).

Thought I'd give ya's all a heads up on it. If you have amazon prime it doesn't even cost you shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MISF54/ref=ox_ya_os_product

So if your preferred oil is the 10W-50, then this is probably good news for you. I just ordered 2 six packs, since I am due an oil change this week, and then it'll keep me going well into 2013 as well. Just ordered 4X to split with a buddy.

Just wanted to bump this post to let folks know, this can still be purchased on Amazon. Currently for a slightly lower price of $45.29, which works out to $7.55 a quart. My dealer charges $17.80 a quart for it, and typically, and I haven't seen it much lower than around $13 a quart individually.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MISF54/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
30,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right.

The price on Amazon fluctuates a bit, but not by a whole lot. a couple of bucks at most - still a very very good price. They have good prices on Mobil one as well.

I like to support my dealer, so I buy all OEM spares and parts through them, but I am not paying over twice the price for oil just for the sake of it.

·
Registered
386 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MISF54/ref=ox_ya_os_product

So if your preferred oil is the 10W-50, then this is probably good news for you. I just ordered 2 six packs, since I am due an oil change this week, and then it'll keep me going well into 2013 as well.

My service manual calls for 10W/40 or 15W/50. Can we use 10W/50?

Chico

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
My service manual calls for 10W/40 or 15W/50. Can we use 10W/50?

Chico
Chico,

I am curious as to the part #, and rev. # is for your Service manual.

Like yours, mine also states: "Use semi or fully synthetic 10W/40 or 15W/50 motorcycle engine oil which meets specification API SH (or higher) and JASO MA, such as Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T, sold as Castrol Power RS Racing 4T in some countries. "

Owners Manual states "Fill the engine with a 10W/40 or 10W/50 semi or fully synthetic motorcycle engine oil that meets specification API SH (or higher) and JASO MA, such as Castrol"

It is my understanding that earlier versions of the Service Manual called for 15w/50 rather than 10w/50, but Triumph later changed that due to the relative unavailability of 15w50 in the USA. Curious if newer revisions of the Service Manual have also updated this?

Perhaps someone with more info on that could verify?

In any case, I had my oil changed by my dealer while it was still under warranty, and Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 100% Synthetic Oil 10W50 was what they always used, so obviously not a problem.

Edit: Oh, and my dealer didn't hesitate to charge $17.80 a quart for it :eek:

- Sean

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
Are you talking about the Owners Handbook or the Service Manual? The service manual I have does mention the 15W50, like Chico's. I was curious to see if they had updated that in later versions.

Like you, mine has always had 10w50. Since the first oil change anyway.

- Sean

My manual says 10W40 or 10W50 - and 10W50 has been in the motor since day 1. :dunno

·
30,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Owners manual I think. I know I read it in one of them. I will double check when I get home.

In any case, after 30,000 miles on 10W50, I'm not worried about it. 10W50 is what Triumph told the service techs to put in (apparently) so take that for what it's worth.

(That and a buck still won't buy you a cup of coffee :D)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts