Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I've got a 2001 Tiger with 77k on the clock, and I've got some electrical issues. I'm trying to get it road worthy, and this the last step! I've looked through some threads here, but I don't see anything that's specific to what's going on... Want to help me think through this?

When I bought the bike the battery was dead and it wasn't running, so I don't know if these items worked even then. Here are the issues:

The headlights don't work. When the high beam is turned on, the indicator lights up on the dash but still no lights.
The rear light is all at all times; the brake light works when levers are pressed.
The horn doesn't work.
It has aftermarket front blinkers, and both the front and back work, EXCEPT they still blink fast as if one of them is out (they aren't, all four work). When I turn the hazards, they blink slower, at what I assume is normal speed.

I've checked the fuses, and they all look fine, and I haven't replaced them (I'll likely pick up some tomorrow).

Are all of these things connected someway? Any thoughts beyond changing the fuses? I greatly appreciate any input you have.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Are the signals LED? You might actually just need new headlight bulbs. If the bike had a regulator go berserk it can pop the bulbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Steve, thanks for the reply. Yes, the front ones are led. That's causing the fast signal speed I presume? I'll try to pull the bulbs today as well... Does anyone know specifically which fuse controls the horn?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I believe it's the same fuse that operates your turn signals and yes, the LEDs are causing the rapid blinking.
Look for a bad ground with the horn and lights, too. Sometimes these things are as easy as spotting a broken wire.
The left hand switch on the handlebar isn't sealed all that well so if it's corroded in there, that could do it.
Be SURE to take a picture or make a diagram as the wiring in that switch only goes back together one way.

I use a test light similar to one of these guys to see where the power stops:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Steve. I did indeed read today that the LED's don't have as much resistance, therefore they don't trip the relay and thus the quick blinks. Tearing into it this evening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: After tearing it apart, the headlight connections were loose going to the bulbs. Sometimes the easiest solution is the most likely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts