Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall a few months ago there was talk of how to rig your Americanbike to have a switched headlight....Well, I accidentally found a potential solution. My low beam burned out (I have an aftermarket sealed beam light, not the stock lamp). That means when I switch to low beam, I in effect turn my headlight "Off". It seems like if you could figure out which contact is for the low beam, you could cut it off the bulb, then use your hi/lo switch as an off/on switch.....

I will be replacing my bulb, as I don't need an off position, but I know some of you were wanting it.....

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Whoa, is THAT cool or WHAT?

Then I'm thinking along the lines of finding out how to disconnect the high beam (or does the low beam remain on when in 'high beam' position?), and then mount some small HIGH POWER PIAA driving lamps to my Rentec engine guards (hmmmm, wiring the high beam wire to the PIAA's???)....... then use the low beam for 'round town, and the driving lamps when I want to light up the night at 70 mph!!!!

I wonder if this can really work?
Seems almost too easy, as if there must be an electrical glitch we're not aware of....(?)

DUDE!
:razz:

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I guess that would be one way to do it, but now there is a feature on the bike that does not work (the low headlight beam), and there is no back-up should the high beam fail at night. I bit the bullet and installed the correct (expensive)switch.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Red wire is from the 12 Volt B+ source. The solid blue is low beam. The stripped blue is high beam. Hide you a switch under the headlight housing to switch off the blue wire. Or the red wire & that would get both beams turned off.
Personally I think I get less people pulling out in front of me with this Bonneville than any other bike I have ever had. I suspect it is because the headlight is always on. All my bikes have had very loud pipes. I think that helps too. But I am glad my headlight is on all the time. None of my other older bikes had that feature & wouldn't keep the battery charged if I did leave it on all the time. On a sealed beam if you loose one beam you have to change the whole thing again. Dumb. Halogen H4's are better. I run a 55 watt low beam with a 100 watt high beam. I have some 80-130 watts ordered. They will need relays. They will burn the air in front of me.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bob

You should be able to get 80/100s - whch are OK with standard wiring and aren't hot enough to melt stuff in the headlight housing. If you need 130s it must be VERY dark! Do you live at the North Pole???? :)

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I hooked up a set Adjure Beacons from Custom Dynamics (55w driving lights) on a turn signal relocation mount from newbonneville and switched them into the high beam -they come on when I hit the high beam switch. Wow- daylight! and no real problems -also I put a halogen car headlight in for the stock 1 candle power headlight in my Bonnie. I also have a set of PIAA 1100x lights I will probably use on another vehicle. I was going to mount them shooting out the back to harass tailgaters but decided not to do that, as nobody but really fast drivers can tailgate me. (HA!)
Headlight on all the time is OK by me. If I flick my high beam "blinders" on during the day they sure do see me! Most of them do anyhow.

Old people need more light-night vision decreases dramaticially with age over 60-be careful and light it up!!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
HiVel,

I wanna see some pictures of what you've got, I want detailed instructions of how to wire mine the same way, and I want your PIAA's. I must admit I've now been made to worry about running a sealed beam, as when it blows I can't fall back on the high beam.

I've already got a relocation bracket, and I might have a cooooool, sexy, retro, substantial fairing to tempt you for your help and a trade......

(Oh yeah, check out those home made pipes I told you about)

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-11-24 11:09 ]

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Eagle. I figure if a little bit does a little good, a whole lot will do alot of good. But 100 watts is okay really.
But adding a relay & larger wire will always make the lights brighter. Even the factory headlamp could use a relay. But the added voltage will shorten the life of the bulb.
I have done that to 4 of my cars & just getting a full 14.8 volts at the stock headlamps makes a tremendous difference. My Caprice headlamps are awful. Even at 200 watts & 14.8 volts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts