Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
File this in the never thought it would happen to me category.
Saturday had a great "chase" out a really fast highway with a bunch of goo-hoop shod sport bikes. Stopped for lunch to discover that both headlights were busted.

I've seen the "Ventura" velcro on plastic covers, but am curious if anyone knows of other options.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would be nice, can't find 1 that's 5.25", the only ones I can find are 7"... but would look the bizness wouldn't it ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember a post on here a while back where someone fabricated stone guards out of a strainer or something? Turned out pretty nice. Anyone remember that?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember a post on here a while back where someone fabricated stone guards out of a strainer or something? Turned out pretty nice. Anyone remember that?
Were they as nice as MY stone guards?

Seriously though, I used some Altrex stick on stuff on my 2007 Sprint. It's about 1.5mm thick and didn't seem to affect the light output at all. One day soon I will get around to cutting some to fit the S3.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Altrex !?!

Now that looks like a possibility... wonder how it'd look on the front fender & fly-screen ? they're takin a beating as well. How hard is the materieal to work with ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Were they as nice as MY stone guards?

HAHA classic..... but seriously I saw a post where someone did that and it looked good (I don't know about the integrity of the strainer wire against stones though??)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our headlights are 5.25" diameter, but the outside 1/4" is bevelled so these 5" protectors fit, work good, and are invisible.

http://www.motoelekt.com/lighting.htm

Headlight Lense Protectors BMWMC-03 To '92 R80, R100GS (5" Round) $19.00
Thanks, I'll have to give them a go, the price is definitely right!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Now that looks like a possibility... wonder how it'd look on the front fender & fly-screen ? they're takin a beating as well. How hard is the materieal to work with ?
These Light Skinz are easy to apply. The clear film has a blue backing on which you can draw the shape you need to cut out. If cutting curves, or in this case circles, you will need a steady hand with a very sharp knife or you could probably use a good pair of scissors. To apply you will need a bucket or bowl of water with about 2% detergent and a squeegee of some sort. I use a credit card wrapped in soft material. Then wet the headlight, peel the backing off the film (I do this in the water) and apply. It will slide around quite a lot but this allows you to position it correctly while squeezing out the water from between the film and the light.

For other bodywork I use another Altrex product called Body Skinz. It's a lot thinner and I have it applied to the sides of my fuel tank. It takes all the rubbing from my leathers and you can't see it unless you're up close. It's kind of like an all over tank protector. Now that you have mentioned the fly screen I will apply the Body Skinz to that too.

I had the Body Skinz on my Sprint for about 18 months/15,000Km and it never moved. If it needs to be removed you just peel it off, but I don't know if you can reapply the same piece as the adhesive may not work again.

Altrex is an Australian company so you might need to check with them if they ship overseas, otherwise I'm sure there will be similar products available where you are. http://www.altrex.com.au/

Some other stuff that's advertised in one of the magazines here is called Duco Scratch, I have no idea how expensive it is but it looks the goods, at least for paint protection.
http://www.ducoscratch.com.au/

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Woot!!! I've been referenced!

the strainer guards are still up...I actually went from San francisco to vancouver CA and back and no harm to headlights or wear on the paint on the strainer...

strainer stone guard mod FTW!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts