Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought i would post a couple of shots showing my newly fitted stone guard.
I spent ages attempting to use the supplied clips (3), the supplier did not include instructions with the delivery and the instructions posted on their website were unreadable. I did email the supplier and asked for the instructions to be emailed - so far they haven't answered.
I did manage to get 2 of the clips into a good position but was unhappy with the third. In the end i decided to use the twisted wire method.
I am happy with the end result and the quality / price (except delivery charge) just the clips need re-thinking.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have been having similar problems with the clips provided with the stone guard. Your solution is brilliant and I will be applying it this coming weekend.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been having similar problems with the clips provided with the stone guard. Your solution is brilliant and I will be applying it this coming weekend.
I used 2 pieces (top and bottom) the easiest way is to pull out the small bulb and unplug the large bulb and do the job away from the bike resting the lamp on a towel - on a table - sit-down and make yourself comfortable as it still takes a some time. My wire was probably a bit thick.
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
120 Posts
You know you actually can mount it without any clips at all. I figured out the on the "inner" ring of the headlight there are two or three small tabs that I cut out with my dremel and the stone guard drops right in flush. I just had to make sure the orientation was right when I put it back together.
I don't have a close up picture at work, but here is one from my phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I recently added a headlamp stone guard to my T100. Clips didn't fit at all, I used wire internally to secure and a little JB weld to hold the clips in the lamp. Worked perfectly. Now I need black lamp housing.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You know you actually can mount it without any clips at all. I figured out the on the "inner" ring of the headlight there are two or three small tabs that I cut out with my dremel and the stone guard drops right in flush. I just had to make sure the orientation was right when I put it back together.
That looks awesome.

·
Registered
57 Posts
LOVE the black stone guard and black headlight ring. Did you buy the stone guard in black or did you paint it?

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Stone guards for the most part don't work, but look nice, they don't work because the sharp rocks that hit and break things are smaller then the space between the wires. How often have you ever experienced a rock the size of your nose come flying at you on the road.

Now watch....i'll have one fly back at me the size of a watermelon the next ride. Karma...ahhhh.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stone guards for the most part don't work, but look nice, they don't work because the sharp rocks that hit and break things are smaller then the space between the wires. How often have you ever experienced a rock the size of your nose come flying at you on the road.

Now watch....i'll have one fly back at me the size of a watermelon the next ride. Karma...ahhhh.

I just like the look :D

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
What works are those plexi glass covers, just don't like the look of em....the stone guards with wire look very kewl.

Cleaning of the headlight task would be dependent on if you use twisted wire or not which could add to the difficulty. IF you ride in an area with lots of bugs it would turn into a pain.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Stone guards for the most part don't work, but look nice, they don't work because the sharp rocks that hit and break things are smaller then the space between the wires.
Well, actually, no. They work really well. See, the size of the stone approaching the guard has (almost) nothing to do with determining whether a guard is effective or not. It's (almost) entirely about the stone's angular momentum, and mathematical probability.

In order for a stone to break a headlight with a guard attached, _all_ 4 of the following must occur:

1) The stone must be smaller than the space between the wires.
2) It must actually miss the wires. (Any "touch" depletes its energy. See below.)
3) It must enter that space from _exactly_ straight ahead, and
4) It must be traveling at a speed sufficient to crack the light.

A stone headed for your light has to _exactly_ pass through the guard without touching any of the wires. Try chucking some gravel through a chain-link fence and you'll see how low that probability is. It's counter-intuitive I know, but those wires _always_ get in the way.

When a stone hits the wire, one of two things will happen: it will immediately ricochet off at an angle, or it will slip past the wire. The rare stone that slips past the wire has already had its energy drained by the impact with the stone guard. Should it reach your light, its just going to bounce off.

Finally in that rare instance where a stone may sail through from any other angle than straight on, it'll bounce off the face of the headlight.

So, out the the bazillions of combinations of speed and angle that a stone can approach your headlight there's almost no chance that one will be coming straight at your light and sail through the wiring unimpeded with force sufficient to crack your light. The odds are just too overwhelmingly against it. It isn't impossible, of course, but really really really improbable.

That's why they work.

Hilo

·
Registered
167 Posts
I like the look also but how difficult is to clean the head light?
Every couple of weeks I lay a rag across the fender, and spray LOTS of 20% vinegar water solution on the lens and let is sit overnight. I spray some clear water on it next day to wash off everything that was loosened, and call it done. It doesn't get it the light squeaky clean, of course, but it's good enough.

Hilo

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't cleaned it yet but i have a long bristle wheel cleaning brush that should do the job .

1 - 20 of 42 Posts