Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

I just got back from a 3,000 mile trip during which I rode the Blue Ridge Parkway for 90% of its entire length in both directions. Highly recommended. I suppose I should write up a trip report but words won't really suffice.

Anyway, on the way down I got caught in a torrential rain storm and when I shut the bike off one of the headlights stayed on (not sure if it was low beam or high beam). I turned the bike back on and flicked the high beam switch on and off and the light turned off when I shut the bike off again. Now the headlight works on low beams but when I turn the high beams on it does not light. When I use the passing switch the high beam filament does not light either. It is not the bulb as when I switched harnesses the other headlight showed the symptom.

The offending light is on the right side of the bike but I may have switched the harnesses when I rebuilt the nose after a bit of an accident I had in the spring.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi Fred

sounds like a duff relay on the LHS top or bottom of the 4

as things may be switched around just play and find the bad one

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On 2005-10-25 06:07, robbie wrote:
Hi Fred

sounds like a duff relay on the LHS top or bottom of the 4

as things may be switched around just play and find the bad one
Thanks Robbie. I figured it was a relay. I assume you mean the four behind the front LH blinker in the rubber cover. I will check them.

Fred

·
Registered
922 Posts
On 2005-10-25 12:43, pigpen955 wrote:

Thanks Robbie. I figured it was a relay. I assume you mean the four behind the front LH blinker in the rubber cover. I will check them.

Fred
yep thats the ones

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I once had a horn relay on a Norton Commando fill with rain on the west cost of Scotland (and it really rains there) and shorting out inside. The horns (twin Mixo extra-louds) suddenly going off when I was trying to avoid the sheep gave me the fright of my life. So maybe water has got inside one or more of your relays. Try a bit of WD40?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2005-10-27 10:15, iansoady wrote:
I once had a horn relay on a Norton Commando fill with rain on the west cost of Scotland (and it really rains there) and shorting out inside. The horns (twin Mixo extra-louds) suddenly going off when I was trying to avoid the sheep gave me the fright of my life. So maybe water has got inside one or more of your relays. Try a bit of WD40?
Thanks. Today is the day for debugging so I will letyou know how it went.

Fred

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was the bottom relay. Interesting wirting, if you have the top one working than the low beams both work but only one high beam. If only the bottom one works than both high beams work but only one low beam. I did not try it with no realys, but I presume than only one low beam and one high beam will work. I guess that is how it is wired in Europe.

Anyway, now I need a replacement relay (I tried some water absorbing spray to no effect). I am assuming these are somewhat standard.

Thanks for the help,
Fred

·
Registered
445 Posts
I really appreciate the wiring diagram posted. I have discovered my headlights aren't right, on my '06. When on bright, I have one bright, and one dim. On dim, one bright, and one dim. I suppose something is just reversed, and am going to have a look. Won't be able to get over to the dealer's, so I hope I can fathom it out.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure the dim is low beam and not just the 'position' bulb that is in the headlight enclosure? If it is the 'position' bulb then it sounds like you have a bike that is still wired for Britain instead of the states. I think (and I stress think, there are many threads on this board about making the switch to get both headlights to work) that means you have neither of the two headlight relays. They are located next to the left hand blinker in a bank of four relays and the top and bottom ones are the ones for the headlights. The Triumph parts are about $24 each and your dealer should provide them for free if it is indeed the problem.

Hope that helps.

Fred

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks for the info, Pigpen. I believe you are correct; it appears to be the 'position' light, burning in the opposite bulb. I have located the four relays; there are four of them, but I guess they are the ones intended for U.K. distribution; not the U.S. ones.

A trip by the dealer's should solve the problem. Sooner or later, I should be able to get over there.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JRO-

I am pretty sure that in the UK there are no relays on the top or bottom maybe someone from over there can verify.

See Solved the Tiger dual headlight relay mystery as a starting point.

Anyone on the other side of the pond want to chime in?

Cheers,
Fred

[ This message was edited by: pigpen955 on 2005-11-11 20:48 ]

·
Registered
445 Posts
On 2005-11-11 20:44, pigpen955 wrote:
JRO-

I am pretty sure that in the UK there are no relays on the top or bottom maybe someone from over there can verify.

See Solved the Tiger dual headlight relay mystery as a starting point.

Anyone on the other side of the pond want to chime in?

Cheers,
Fred
I may be more confused, than before. I would like to see somebody get it together on this, and put out a faq.

I am curious... Could my problem be the bulbs? Does the Brit version have twin element bulbs? Maybe that's all I need.

I do have four relays plugged into the module, or whatever, located on the left side, just under the fairing. You say the top and bottom ones are the headlight relays?

I noticed some talk in previous threads about battery drain associated with aftermarket relays. What's the word on that?

What various relays are supposed to work, without causing battery drain? Which ones are suggested for use?

Ect..

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
[/quote]

I may be more confused, than before. I would like to see somebody get it together on this, and put out a faq.
Ect..
[/quote]

Do a search on here, everything you need to know has been covered in great depth.
Type in tiger headlight relay and see what comes up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi.. Just to confirm, on U.K `06 tiggers there are two relays missing, so all we get is one light out of each headlight, i.e the choice being 1 dip or 1 mainbeam..not both out of both lamps. its all to do with some stupid EU directive, so the fitting of the 2 missing relays puts things back as to what they should be, both lamps dip or main.apparently these relays have to have a diode in their internals to prevent battery drain when ignition is off..see
http://www.triumphtiger-online.co.uk/ for the relays out of interest but of course US models have the relays installed..hope this helps :-D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks for the info, Alan. My bike has all four relays, so the next time I take the fairing off, I'm going to check the headlamps. Maybe they're single-element. Otherwise, the dealer will have to handle the problem.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi JRO. a pleasure, Cant really see your Tigger having a single Filament lamps (do they make them ? )....but if she is still under warrenty let the dealer sort it....or maybe something as simple as a poor headlight connexion or relay conn..lets know how it pans out.

Regards
Alan

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JRO-

You probably will need the dealer to sort it out. My suspicion is that somehow they are the wrong relays (hard to imagine really).

I am able with some contortions to get to the relays just by moving the left hand blinkers (honestly, it may be easier to remove the fairing).

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

Fred

·
Registered
922 Posts
JRO are you feeling for the relays or looking?

the relays are inside a rubber boot and if you feel the boot the base which the relay plugs into feels like there mighy be somthing there. you need to pop the rubber boot off and look for the actual relay.

if you have done this then i think it is a trip to the dealer to find out what is wrong

1 - 19 of 19 Posts