Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a long ride today, got home as I was pull in the garage I noticed the high beam indicator was on. Flipped switch it stayed on, noticed that the headlight was out.

Pulled light out , bulb looked ok, but noticed that the wire connector to the bulb was fried. Can these be obtained from the dealer? What would cause this? All other electrical components working fine. What else should I look at?

Must also add that I live on a very rough washboard road. Could vibration or bumps cause this?

Thanks in advance.
Andy

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Do you have a higher wattage bulb than the stock bulb? I would inspect the wiring inside the headlight shell again looking for any sign of heat on the other wires/insulation. There are a lot of wires and connectors inside the headlight. If you have the stock bulb, my guess would be something shorting across the connector.

Larry

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the replies, as far as I know the bulb is stock I bought the bike used. Former owner did not look like he was into mods other than what his dealer would do (heck he even had the dealer do his oil changes).

The wire connector has 3 connections to the bulb, one with 2 blu/wt wires, other blu/bro, last was single blk thats the one that fried.

I'm also thinking at what the dealer would charge or want he would replace. I was thinking about replacing the OEM (plug) wire connector and splicing in 3 female wire connectors which would plug to the new bulb. This should work what do you think?

Andy

·
Registered
959 Posts
On 2007-02-17 21:13, Charro wrote:
Thanks for the replies, as far as I know the bulb is stock I bought the bike used. Former owner did not look like he was into mods other than what his dealer would do (heck he even had the dealer do his oil changes).

The wire connector has 3 connections to the bulb, one with 2 blu/wt wires, other blu/bro, last was single blk thats the one that fried.

I'm also thinking at what the dealer would charge or want he would replace. I was thinking about replacing the OEM (plug) wire connector and splicing in 3 female wire connectors which would plug to the new bulb. This should work what do you think?

Andy

Go to an automotive supply and buy a new 3 wire connector for a GM, FOMCO etc and splice in the new connector. This might cost you $3.00 to $5.00 :-D

Steve, Gear Head at large :yayyy: :chug: :yayyy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts