Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I just installed an "sS115H4" from www.comagination.com. The headlight modulator was literally plug and play. It is potted in epoxy and appears to be impervious to vibration and moisture.

I am extremely pleased with this product. It fits just fine in the headlight housing of my Legend.

I also picked up a brake light modulator, type IBF9. I plan on using this to modulate my car's third brake light. (The bike already has hyperlites installed in the tail lamp.)

Thanks,
Lou

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"how was it to install?"
It took less than 15 minutes. It plugs in line between the main harness and the headlight. The only tool I needed was a Phillips to remove the headlight. After putting the mod in line, I ran the light sensor out the back of the headlight and tie-wrapped it to a convenient point.

"How do you like it?"
It's awesome! I am very pleased.

·
Registered
411 Posts
l was set on buying one but was told they need a stong battery as a large initial boost is neded to get them started but once on they use less wattage for more light. Have l got this right?. My worry was that as the headlight on my 2003 TBS is on permantly, if my battery was a bit flat after a night ride ect, the intial start-up of the headlight might leave me with not enough starter cranking power. Not a problem with early switch operated lights, wish l had the earlier system!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thekeyman: I think you're thinking about HID lights. This is a modulator that flashes the high beam portion of a regular halogen H4 bulb.

Regardless, yes. Yes, I've heard the same thing about HIDS. Large startup draw then minimal continuous draw.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Here's my concern about modulators:

Known fact 1: people's attention and gaze is drawn to a modulating light - this is why these things are marketed - the idea being that if peoples attention is drawn to you they will see you and not drive into you.

But

Known fact 2: People steer to / drive at where their attention is - this is why you should look into corners etc.

So

put those two together and you come up with an increased risk that someone who is a little dozy behind the wheel will drive into you.

Add to that the fact that these devices have been known to

1. annoy other road users to the point of rage
2. be mistaken for other types of flashing
3. reduce the life of filament bulbs

I think I'm spending my cash elsewhere :D

[soapbox off]

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mick listed some very valid points. My opinion is that it will grab the attention of cross traffic. My usual routes involve lots of drivers turning left in front of me or cross overs in divided highways.

*shrug*

Additionally, I have a spare H4 bulb in the saddle bag just in case.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I can see both sides of this, and regardless of which school of thought you support, it still comes down to riding like you are invisible 100 percent of the time. I just assume that any vehicle at a stop sign is going to pull out, and I always try to have a truck or other large vehicle running interference for me through the big intersections. Riding a motorcycle really lets you know how it feels to be prey rather than predator, but on the upside, it does improve all of your driving skills, whether you are behind a set of handlebars or a steering wheel. I also understand why most accidents occur within 6 miles of your house, as it takes me a good 10-15 minutes of riding to clear my head and really get in the groove.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I also understand why most accidents occur within 6 miles of your house, as it takes me a good 10-15 minutes of riding to clear my head and really get in the groove.
It's also soooo easy to ozone in familiar surroundings and go into autopilot which on a bike is not good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts