Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else had issues with an LED headlight going out? And does anybody have access to a wiring schematic for a 2019 Speedmaster?
I was on my way to work and the headlight started flickering, and then cutting off completely. It was intermittent for the whole 20+ miles, cutting off for between two and thirty seconds at a time. Wiggled the headlight cables before going home, which made it turn on and off. So far, I'm suspecting a bad connection or a kinked wire - not ready to blame the bulb assembly since it's an LED, and due to the intermittent nature.
I took off the headlight bucket last night to check the connection, after checking the light again and seeing that it wasn't coming on no matter what wires I wiggled. Found no connection or any apparent way to change the bulb assembly. Later I'm going to take off the tank to find where the light connects and multimeter it there.

Any suggestions?

PS - No other lights went out, signals work, taillight and license light are fine, and the fault was both low and high beam.

Thank you,
Rex

·
Registered
186 Posts
It sounds like the ground wire given both low and high beam went out. On my Bobber when I removed the tank I had an issue with the turn signals. Took the tank off again and found on of the connectors was seperated and the other was barely engaged. I would check there and around the headstock.

·
Registered
Thruxton 1200 R , 900 , KTM Duke 390 , Honda NSR 125 , SWM 124
1,776 Posts
Had fun with LED lights myself , not in vehicles , intermittent flickering or just coming on when they feel like it . Not as if you can examine the filament to see if its blown . Need an electrickery expert to explain how to test for faults within the " bulb " .

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it was the connector itself. It's all fixed now, and pretty easily if you don't count the time and effort I needlessly wasted on taking the headlight bucket off and apart, only to find that it's a sealed unit with no connector inside....
Took the tank off enough to get to the connectors on the left side (it's the front one), pulled it off, smeared a good bit of dielectric grease in it and stuck it firmly back in. The light would still flicker if I wiggled the connector around so I ziptied it tightly together and haven't had an issue since.
I also loosened the wire clamp at the frame neck and gave that wire about another half inch of slack in hopes it won't pull at the connector again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts