Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know where to buy a new headlight (or just the glass, rock chipped a hole in it)?

The dealer was quoting me $190.

I was trying to see if there was a good place online to find one for cheaper. OEM or aftermarket.

I have a 04 thruxton.

thanks....

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
you can get a replacement bulb at any auto parts store for less than $20.

H6024 I believe? some one else will chime in with the correct number if I'm wrong.

I got a sylvania H6024, which is much brighter than stock, and it has a rounder profile so it looks better too.

You just have to take the old lamp out and replace it with the new one, no wiring just a couple of connectors. It's very easy to do.

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
I would not advise using a headlight for a car in a bike.

Head light glass for cars are different than bikes.
Not the actual glass but the beam pattern.

Look for a bike with the same size headlight and check the price for those or check a breaker.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I've heard people advise against the car headlight, but it works much better than the stock headlight does.

So would you advise against people using the stock headlight? After using the H6024 I would.

It's not a row of HID lights, but the Sylvania is certainly better than stock both in brightness and light pattern.

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
What I was refering to has nothing to do with the light source or its intensity.

I have a stock headlight on my TBS but I do use a higher intensity bulb, which works great for me.

FYI, car headlight beam patterns produced by the design of the front glass is different for both left hand drive and right hand drive vehicles.

Car headlight beams dip to the left or right depending on what side of the road you drive on.
Motorcycle headlight beams dip straight up and down.

I am not saying that it wont work, just that it is not recommended.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Though my bike looks cool with the convex shaped bulb meant for a car, I HATE the resulting beam pattern. It points to the right of the road when on low beam, and just left of center on high beam. The pattern can also be likened to a pencil beam, very limited to either side of where the lamp is pointed. I don't have the brighter version, so it puts out some really poor light..... I can't see sh!t when riding with it at night.

I'm like really really broke right now, but when I get my act together I'll be buying three PIAA bulbs, two for the FZ1, and one for the Bonnie. My opinion is..... don't mess around with any other major, minor, or bootsie name brand, go first class, go PIAA! Runs cooler, lasts longer, puts out better light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts