Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlight keeps drifting up as I ride it. I thought maybe it was just a little loose and asked the guy about it when I took it in for the 500 mile service and he said since it was rubber mounted he couldn't tighten it any more than it already was.

I can push it up and down with one hand and if I've ridden at... any speed its drifted up so far that if I put my brights on I've got more light on the trees 50 feet overhead than I do on the road. I'm sure on-coming motorists just love this.

Anything I can do to keep this thing aimed down at the actual road?

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
What year is your Bonneville? The headlamp shell on my 2009 SE is bolted rigidly to the fork bracket - only a metal washer between the HL and bracket.

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
Whatever the case, your service person is a dork! You certainly should be able to tighten it. There are two pieces between the bracket and the headlight shell. one is a rubber anitrotation washer the other is a friction washer to put pressure on the rubber (parts 26 and 27 - see Bike Bandit web site). On the outside of the bracket you have a washer and the bolt that goes through to the headlight shell

Check to see if the factory may have failed to install one of these parts. Certainly you should find someone else to look at this, New bike, shouldn't be loose.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Agreed. I have a 2009 and mine never moves. It must be loose or a part missing. After thought: If your wiring harness/wiring is not routed correctly then it could be pulling the rear of the headlamp down when turning on full lock.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so just to make sure I understand correctly, per the diagram shown here as long as parts 18, 19, 26, and 27 are all present and installed properly I should be able to simple tighten down the bolt (part 19) untill the headlamp no longer moves?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Now then , take out number 27 ? ( on pic the steel one not the rubber one ) on one side and fit a steel or alloy shim , i cannot remember the size but it is about 1/4 x 1 1/4 , same as the inner kick starter ring off a 500 unit Triumph ( on the shaft at the back of the spring holding plate ) . This worked for me , some move and some do not so they say . :D

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
never was able to get my headlight stay put using the stock washer arrangement.

Switched to thruxton brackets, now it stays where I want

1 - 10 of 10 Posts