Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I laid her down this spring and can't afford to make her "factory" again, I'm gonna make her into who I want her to be.
Marker lites, handle-bar mirrors, aftermarket turn signals, risers, lowering and now a headlite cut-out switch. I believe this will add to the life of the battery and help on cold morning starts. The "running" lite on all Triumphs is in the hd/l housing, USA law requires the hd/l to be on at all times for safety. On while "in gear" would be preferable, or maybe when the kick stand is up since that circuit is already installed, but not when the ignition circuit is engaged. I'll add a single aftermarket driving lite below the existing hd/l, high output LED marker lites, turn signal running lites(SignalMinder!) w/LED replacement bulbs, this should be fine for day lite driving while dramatically cutting the load on the alternator. These alternators just don't put out enough juice for the accessories that are needed for year round riding. I love the hd/l for night driving, it truly cuts thru the dark and the brights are incredible but I have had times when the battery was drained while riding.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you really want to be able to turn the headlight off you may be able to use the switch that is already there...Kinda.

I'm not sure your right hand control matches my 02'.
If it does, you should have a plastic insert that is twice as long as the starter button and just above it.
This is where the switch is in the U.K. You could probably order one from a dealer, if not here, then check the U.K. dealers.
As far as the battery goes? I run a radar detector, PIAA running/Fog lights = 55w each and I have the original battery.
I plug the bike into a Battery Tender when she sits for more than 2 weeks. I will not store my bikes without a Battery Tender. I've got a buddy that talked me into buying one. He has a pro-street 69 Firebird. It has a Diehard battery that is 10 or 12 years old. The car gets out MAYBE 4-5 times a year, 2-3 of which, on the 1/4 mile....
Convinced me.

Cheer's,
Tom.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts