Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice 72 650 with a crap headlight. I know this is prob the norm after reading some internet chats. I am wanting to cure this so I can ride at night. I have already fixed it so it atleast works though. I also want to install an led taillight but my bike wont light it up. I think its putting out 10.5 volts or so at the socket, enough forthe standard 1157 but not enough for the led. ANY help would be great.
How or what bulb to upgrade the headlight, and how to get 12v at the rear so I can light the taillight with led.

·
Registered
19 Posts
UHH.. LED's are polarity 'sensitive' do you have a positive ground system? if so, you need to reverse polarity and 'insulate' your new chi-chi... good luck

·
Registered
625 Posts
I run an H4 headlight in a good E-code reflector and a 2357 bulb in the taillight. Much brighter than an 1157 or even a 2057. Much cheaper (and easier) solution than the LEDs ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all of the answers

I do have a positive ground, I didnt even think of that, and i am going to clean all of the connectors asap and see if that helps if not anyone have a step by step to installing a modern h3 or 4 bulb etc.

·
Registered
625 Posts
You can get the 3 blade pigtail at any auto parts store. The one for a low / high beam sealed beam light is the same as an H4 (the one for a 6054 or 6024 is the same as H4 / 9003). Remove your headlight ... wire up pigtail ... install new light.

To run a replaceable H4, you'll need to change your reflector. You can order one from any number of places. I use an 'Autopal' which I bought off of eBay for $12 or so ... You could also use a 6024 sealed beam if you wanted. It's at least halogen ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts