Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm gonna give this a try it's from a 2002 sv650, it replaces a chrome reproduction from ebay

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
heres the third headlight i used
the chrome looked great but the light bulb was gonna get me killed

·
Registered
258 Posts
So the SV650 bucket fits all the wires, huh? I've been wondering about that.

Mine is wearing a bucket and lamp very similar to number 3 at the moment. It was awesome with a Cibié in it, but I was blinding people because I couldn't keep it aimed, so it went back to the stock lamp 'til I get something that stays pointed where I put it. Any chance you experienced the same?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I had an SV650 headlight on my Bandit. The OEM SV bucket also has a lower mount to keep it steady, but I never got around to finding a way to use it. With only the side bolts to hold it in position it can move about some. Mine threw a pretty good beam.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So the SV650 bucket fits all the wires, huh? I've been wondering about that.

Mine is wearing a bucket and lamp very similar to number 3 at the moment. It was awesome with a Cibié in it, but I was blinding people because I couldn't keep it aimed, so it went back to the stock lamp 'til I get something that stays pointed where I put it. Any chance you experienced the same?
i couldn't keep headlight # 1( the stock 5 3/4 " light) aimed no matter what i tried, I wish i could have kept headlight # 3 ,it looked so right on the bike ,but the suzuki part was a bargin at $60 .i had to dremel the opening in the back to get the wires in but it's plastic so no problem.the first three headlights were very poor when it came to throwing light ,we'll see what the suzuki part can do once the ice melts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah. Headlight number 1 did nothing for me either. It stayed aimed, but didn't put down anything resembling enough light. Sweeping curves + highway speeds + can't see potholes = ugly.

Agreed that number 2 (for me, 3 for you) looks nice, but it won't stay aimed for me, and effectively puts down less light than number 1.

If the SV unit doesn't put down enough light and you haven't already, you should run wires and put in relays. Night and day difference, to make a horrible pun. Use good relays (which you'll either have to get through a good electronics supplier or order... Panasonic seems to make decent ones), and you'll have a reliable, bright light.

If you've done the relays and still want more, depending on what the stock SV reflector is rated for, you might be able to sneak a 70/65 W lamp into it. The aforementioned Cibié lamp is also a complete flamethrower, should you choose to go that route.

Looks good, though, even if it's not shiny chrome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts