Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner's manual mentions a "position" bulb and a headlamp bulb. It looks to me like a small, dim bulb off to the side illuminates all the time except when the high beam is selected, then the brighter center mounted bulb illuminates.

I am looking at the New Bonneville xenon - krypton bulbs. NB says they have two elements, dim and bright. Clearly, they are mounted in the center bulb position, so I fail to see how they can use both elements. Won't it only illuminate when the brights are selected on the headlamp switch, there fore only working on bright?

How do I get a brighter dim as well as a brighter high beam?

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Forget about the "small, dim bulb on the side". It's an almost-useless parking light and it has nothing to do with the headlight.

The headlight bulb is a standard H4 which incorporates both low and high beams. You can replace it with any H4 bulb. The NewBonneville bulb is an improvement over the factory bulb--I use it. Keep the factory bulb as a spare for your car, if it fits.

The PIAA headlight bulbs are reputed to be the best and brightest. If I rode much at night--actually, I avoid it--I'd go for a PIAA bulb or even replace the whole headlight with a Hella or Cibié unit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Figured it out

All I could get was the parking light or the high beam. I just went out to the Bonney and opened up the headlamp unit. The low beam is burned out - filament melted. That explains it. A new H4 is in my future.

Thanks Baltobonneville.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Baltobonneville, do you have the piaa bulb? just wondered how it compares to the silverstar ultra? i have the silverstars and they are decent, but i ride to work alot in the dark and something brighter would be appreciated. is the piaa a direct replacement without any beefing up the stock wiring? what is the part number? -keith

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Bulb

I have them too. BE CAREFUL: Dont touch the glass or any part w/ your fingerds etc..!!!
I did & it isnt a pretty site!! After a shoert time!!
Also- Spray some windex inside the bucket & use a stick yto wipe it out! It gets prettty cloudy in there!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
can somebody post a pics of the piaa bulb vs. stock bulb. i would like to compare it to the stock bulb. -keith

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
No, I don't have a PIAA bulb.

Bulb installation hints:

Hold the new bulb by the base and carefully clean the glass with a clean cloth moistened with alcohol. There should be no dirt, grease, or fingerprints on it. Once you've done this, hold it only by the base to install it, or wear clean cotton gloves to handle it.

And put grease on the electrical connectors; it's easier to poke the grease into each terminal of the socket rather than on the bulb connectors (while keeping the glass bulb clean).

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
No, I don't have a PIAA bulb
I do. Piaa extreme white 135/120 in a Hella headlight.
It's BRITE and WHITE not blue.
It's not even road legal. The 110/125 is though.

If you touch the bulb with your fingers or get any grease on it, it will burn out instantly.

can somebody post a pics of the piaa bulb vs. stock bulb. i would like to compare it to the stock bulb.
They look the same as stock. They are just a regular H4 bulb.

For an extra $50 get a Hella 7' round headlight. Optics are so much better (no provision for the small parking light)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I do. Piaa extreme white 135/120 in a Hella headlight.
It's BRITE and WHITE not blue.
It's not even road legal. The 110/125 is though.

If you touch the bulb with your fingers or get any grease on it, it will burn out instantly.

They look the same as stock. They are just a regular H4 bulb.

For an extra $50 get a Hella 7' round headlight. Optics are so much better (no provision for the small parking light)
I'm with MES on this one, the PIAA Extreme White is the way to go when replacing the H4. These are 4150K, the same as most HIDs.

MES, are you using the Hella bucket? Does all the witing fit inside?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After some internet research I am looking for a PIAA 70456 bulb. It is an H4 but was designed specifically for motorsports applications. It is an anti - vibration design so it will hopefully last longer, it draws the standard H4 wattage, and gives the effect of 110 watts of light.

All reviews I have read on the bulb (over 100. I quit counting) say it is very, very bright and makes a huge difference.

Looking for one locally today. Should run between $40 and $50 USD.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
PIAA headlight bulb

I'm sure that you'll notice a big improvement with that bulb. Let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
MES, are you using the Hella bucket? Does all the witing fit inside?
I'm using the stock Triumph bucket, Hella 7" round head light and the PIAA 135/120 Extreme White bulb.

The Hella headlight is the exact same size as stock and is a direct replacement. It comes with a bulb that is rated same as stock (55/65) and a connector boot. USE THE STOCK BOOT as the Hella boot won't fit the Triumph side of the connection.

NOTE:The Hella headlight is designed for CARS. As such, there is no provision for the parking light bulb.
The headlight has a very good top cutoff BUT it is angled upward on the right side for better visability. In other ward, it is for RIGHT SIDE DRIVER ONLY.

There ya go.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PIAA 70456 ordered through a local dealer - should be here Friday the 27th along with the Tourmaster Transitions 2 jacket/armor I ordered (bright yellow - but not the "high vis" yellow).
I will give my reviews on both. Oh, also ordered an "Ear Cannon" horn. Ordered it yesterday, I'll report on it too.

Been away from riding for quite a few years so I want the cagers on cell phones to know I'm there BEFORE they do something painfully stupid, hence the brightly colored high tech armor and the fancy noise maker. The question is not "Am I paranoid", but rather, "Am I paranoid enough"?
:suspicious:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts