Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm hoping this is a relatively simple or straight forward problem.

I had some work done on my bike last Thursday. AI removed and re-jetted. Went away for a long weekend (without the bike) and arrived back yesterday. Today during my first ride since the work I noticed the headlamp and tail light are out. Stop light is working as are indicators. Because both front and rear are out I'm hoping it's a fuse or something straight forward. I know it's not a bulb otherwise both lights wouldn't be out.

Some of the technical minded will be able to point me in the right direction. Tomorrow I will contact the mechanic who worked on the bike and get him to check it out, but being able to anticipate what the issue is would be nice.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Your thinking is right and you want to start with checking the fuse. Do you have the factory manual on PDF? You want to get on if you don't. It has the complete wiring diagram for the bike. For an issue like this, always check the fuses first...especially because there is no headlight/tail light switch...lights are hard wired right to the ignition switch. Your tech should find it easily.
Good Luck,
George

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks George,

Yup, I've got the Haynes manual and would have checked if it hadn't got too dark (it's night time here). I've had a look at the manual and checking the fuses seems straight forward enough. I'll have to do it sometime tomorrow arvo.

Brendan

·
Registered
510 Posts
Looks like your taillight is the Lucas style. Is your headlight stock?
I used to have the Lucas tail light on as well, and I found that after wrenching on her for a bit, I had managed to de-ground (don't think this is the proper terminology) her and blew a fuse after riding her for the first time since the work. Double-checked things and finally got her working right.

Just a thought

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Wouldn't account for the front light though BB. Good catch on the Lucas light however...but sounds as though the entire switching hot of the ignition switch that powers both front and rear running lights is out...hopefully a fuse.
George

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Problem solved

Thanks guys. It's morning here now and light enough so I can finally go out and check things. Found the cause and it was an easy fix as you both suspected. I think it was a loose fuse.

I pulled out the fuses one by one to check and pushed them back in snug. All were ok, but found the lights worked perfectly after that. Some of the fuses must have either come loose or a bad connection. Most likely came loose when the mechanic was working on the bike last Thursday.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

·
30,531 Posts
What was the fix out of interest? It's always good to know what things to check should someone else encounter the problem.

·
Registered
630 Posts
What was the fix out of interest? It's always good to know what things to check should someone else encounter the problem.

I think it was a loose fuse. I pulled out the fuses one by one to check and pushed them back in snug. All were ok, but found the lights worked perfectly after that.
It's not just your memory that's goin' Prop. :p

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not just your memory that's goin' Prop.
Yeah!!! Prop, what's going on??? LOL LOL LOL!!!

Small Print
In defense of Prop, I went back and edited my original post after Prop posed the question rather than adding an additional post. Sorry for being a mischief maker and sorry Prop for impugning your character, inadvertently ;)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Small Print
In defense of Prop, I went back and edited my original post after Prop posed the question rather than adding an additional post. Sorry for being a mischief maker and sorry Prop for impugning your character, inadvertently ;)
Maybe you should just edit this out of your last post too and we'll just let him think he really is goin' bonkers. :D

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah, I can't imagine he'd be cutting much slack in the future though LOL :biglaugh:

Come to think of it he was picking on me a few weeks ago even though he'll swear he wasn't .... hmmmm I think I'll re-edit my previous post.

·
30,531 Posts
No fair lads, he edited in the extra info after I posted! :mad:

And I am NOT going bonkers thanks so very much.

I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. It's very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad.

:D

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No fair lads, he edited in the extra info after I posted!
I don't think so! Where did he pluck that story from??? Proof!! I need proof!

He's great, I think he's the best moderator in the universe ever
I think a picture is starting to emerge. Low self esteem, needing of approval, desperate to be right .... hmmmmm!!!

·
30,531 Posts
Well - there's this little clue at the bottom of your post which says "edited by Bonnie Sunshine" and the time you did it.

After my post I might add.

Plus the system has a log you know......

And don't be saying Pokeyjoe has low self esteem, he's a great guy!

:D

Ahhhh, what fun.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, Bonnie-Sunshine.....what exactly was the fix again.....?
I shook those fuse-ee-muvers like a salt shaker. That hurry up seemed to get em working.

Oh!!!!! Thank god for editing options.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts