Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The British Pound has dropped 25% against the dollar in the last few weeks, down from 2 (2 dollars buys 1 pound) to 1.50.
So, if you're planning a trip, you may want to consider locking in these rates, as they are quite low from a 20 year historical basis. Same goes for the Euro, to a degree.
It seems the world-wide financial kerfuffle has caused a flight towards the dollar and U.S. backed bonds (can you believe T-bills yielding 0%?).
But this to shall pass. I don't think I'm going to head across to Scotland this year, alas, but if I were, I would be locking in these rates.
Just a thought.

(Souvenirs will seem less expensive at the Ace Cafe. The service will still be traditionally surly, however.)

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
In 1987, the pound was actually cheaper than a dollar, think it hit as low as 97 or 98 cents. It was cheaper for me to shop off base (was in the American Forces back then). My rent at the time was 100 quid. Imagine that - rent, rates, and utilities (even though central heat meant a coal fireplace centered on the living room wall) for $98 a month!!!! Stayed that way for a very short time before it started inching back up.

$1.50 is a good rate (for us revolutionaries). Have fun while it lasts, the normal rate is more like $1.75 to $1.85. If it goes lower, I think I would definitely buy some (wish I still had the account at Barclays Bank).

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
It's not so much the pound is cheaper but where the US dollar should be on the world stage, for me I hope it will get stronger. We're an export nation and our returns are measured in US dollars, we'll sell more but our imports and o'seas travel will also cost more.

As I've bought all my expensive items I'm happy to sell more and stay at home ! :D

---------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
TBA Golfer - I am deeply disapointed that you will not make it to Scotland. I mean for heavens sake with a name like that you should at least make an effort to pay homage to the game of golf. Furthermore, the motorcycling is far better than in Engerland where it is all built up with high rise flats, cheap hotels and out of town shopping centres selling tack made in China. No, if you want a decent holiday it has to be towards the North. I can accept anything in Cumbria or Yorkshire, but anything else, well, it is just not worth it. Plus your dollar will go further in Scotland:D:D Yes time to reciprocate the spending that Scots have done in the States during the last few years when the dollar has been on its knees:D:D

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Sofia, TBAgolfer has been north of Hadrian's little construction project many times. He could lead tours. He gave me a great recommendation for a little book shop in Dornoch, for example.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Scotland needs as many free spending Americans as it can get. It is finally becoming affordable after years of being over priced and suffering from the same surly service as the Ace Cafe.

·
Registered
615 Posts
....or you could go one better and ride a bonnie around the lovely famous Lake District with

http://www.thelakesescape.com/thelakesescape/Welcome.html

As for the strength of currency, theirs talk that the euro will match the pound in the new year!!

We were lucky when we visited the West Coast (SFO & Seattle) in June, we bought @ $1.58/€, now it's roughly £1.30

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sofia-

My good pal HiDesert is right. I've been across to Scotland 12 or 13 times over the last 20 years- golf pilgrimages. I've played around 70 different courses, and am blessed to be a member of Royal Dornoch.
In spite of the lower pound, this year is a no go for me, unless I either get a new job (ugh) or the financial markets make a huge rebound (even less likely). Scotland, especially the Highlands, are indeed 'heaven on earth.'

1 - 10 of 10 Posts