Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I head up at higher elevation wrapping headers would make bike run like crap? I really dont believe this but I was wanting another opinion or fact even... thanks...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I asked the guys at Fast By Gast who hold world records in drag racing about the wrapped exhaust improving performance. They do think it improved performance. So with that information I wrapped mine. I figured if I already spent $8000.00 (US) another $40.00 wouldn't be a big deal! Dave Nourish built a 1974 Triumph engine for me. 900cc about 90hp. And for sure it looks cool!

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag156/dicebike/t9_zpsea811a6c.png

·
Banned
947 Posts
the issue of performance increase/decrease is complicated, and there cannot be a definitive answer without taking all the other factors into account. First and foremost of the contributing factors is exhaust diameter and length.
Bernoulli explained it mathematically, but that will not help the layman, who has never operated a flow bench, and seen the differences in flow numbers and understood what makes said differences. Short explanation...added heat, means higher pressure. Yet what we want is lower pressure. There is a fine line where the pressure is right, and it results in the exhaust pulses leaving with enough velocity to leave a negative pressure behind them...this helps with the evacuation of the following exhaust pulse...

Obviously a foll explanation would take pages and pages, and I would lose the interest of most here. But if anyone wants to research it a little farther, this is a good read
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/exhausttech.htm

Ron from RB Racing is a friend, and he has a way of putting complicated processes into simple terms that the layman can comprehend...

If you can get through that, and want more, I can tell you where the information on that page comes from, and what books to read, to get you into the gritty details

·
Registered
484 Posts
I head up at higher elevation wrapping headers would make bike run like crap? I really dont believe this but I was wanting another opinion or fact even... thanks...
i dont know how high up you are in CS but i live in southern az and im 4623 feet above sea level and my bike doesnt run bad with wrapped pipes....

i dont think wrappin your pipes is gonna give you any noticable differnce in HP or anything expect a funny smell for about 2 weeks

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I have been considering that, but I am concerned that painting over chrome wouldn't last long or be durable and flake off.
Painted headers on a 400F Honda I had years ago. It actually looked fairly good and remained looking good for several years and 30,000 miles.
You need to take emery paper to the chrome so the paint will adhear.
My tastes have changed with age and today I wouldn't recommend painting perfectly good chrome headers because you can't go back. Once you decide to go that direction your committed.
Header tape is less evasive. I'd go that route now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wrapped mine too, i think it looks great. i can understand that some people don't like it but that is what makes customizing cool, not everyone is gonna like it, but to others it looks great.

I did however notice a major temp difference in riding temp. the bike seems to be cooler when i stop. Obviously there isn't all that heat coming off the exhaust. Oh and when you go for the first ride, it smells funny and smokes like crazy for a few minutes (so much so i got stopped and told my bike was burning!!) and wear latex gloves when doing it.

PS. it makes for a good afternoon, wrapping headers and a few beers. Cant beat that.

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
it's something I can do to pay homage to the Cafe Racers, and Flat track racers of old whilst not taking away from the performance of my bike.
I have no problem with people doing it, (although not for me, I don't really like the look but everyone has different tastes).

I can understand why people might do it for the 'look' or for performance or to hide rust etc but the idea about it being 'old school' or 'vintage' always makes me curious.

I certainly can't remember seeing it on any of the "original cafe racers" from the 60s but does anyone know when it first started being done on bikes?

My hunch is it only really started mid 90s but I am happy to be proved wrong and would be interested to see any photos of 'old' bikes that have wrap (ie wrapped back in the day not recently wrapped)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts