Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a question about header wrap. I have been looking on e-bay for wrap and have noticed that there is 1/16" and 1/8" wrap. Have any of you had experience with these different thickness wraps?

At first glance it would seem that the thicker wrap (1/8") would be better, are there any down sides to this?

I'm looking at 2"X50' for two pipes, should be enough shouldn't it?

Thanks, Art.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
If you don't spray the wrap with the high temp spray that's made for it, it won't matter what thickness it is. After a number of years, the wrap will fray and fall apart and discolor depending upon color. And, the so called heat scavenging affect will not be noticeable. I used it for years on another bike to protect the front header on a 90deg Vtwin after a plastic bag landed on the header and melted.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Lordy and Felony for your replies.

I did not realize that there was a special spray for the wrap. I was just going to use something from the auto parts store to paint the pipes. Where does one get this "special" spray?

Thanks, Art.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just did my header wrap. I got the 50 foot 1 inch roll. I set the overlap at like 1/2 in or so. PERFECT amount of length.

I wraped my D675 with black. But with the thruxton pipes tan is PERFECT and sexy.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It was DET wrap from Advanced Auto Parts, you can get it anywhere. I made a mistake, I got 2 inch wide, 50 foot long and .0625" thick. So 1/16.

I presoaked the wrap in warm water for a few minutes, then squeezed the water out a bit. Wrap from the rear to the front of the headers so when they overlap, wind will not fringe the materal. Its a little messy with all the sparkly material, but DEF worth it in the long run. It WILL smoke for a bit when first running her. Even with the wrap dried before starting it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Felony, at Jflex99's suggestion I just returned from Advanced Auto where they have the tan wrap and the spray. I went to DET website and also saw the Titanium wrap which is more money but doesn't require the spray. When you factor in the spray the price ends up about the same. Any ideas about which way would be better?

Art.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
My second wrap was the Ti. The black wrap definitely needed the spray. It faded to white and frayed and left my pipe looking like a Zebra. I sold this bike but the new owner has not mentioned anything wrong with the Ti wrap without the spray. It's your choice, the Ti wrap does look good.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you like the tan you don't need to spray it. That only helps seal it a little more. If you want black, go for it. But tan is classic :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I will see if the local Advanced auto can get the Ti. If not then maybe the tan.

When you say the spray helps seal it a little more is that to help it keep it's color or to help it hold the heat?

Art.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
The spray is to protect the wrap. When I removed my black wrap after about 6yrs, the wrap came off in pieces. I should have used the spray.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
If you don't spray the wrap with the high temp spray that's made for it, it won't matter what thickness it is. After a number of years, the wrap will fray and fall apart and discolor depending upon color. And, the so called heat scavenging affect will not be noticeable. I used it for years on another bike to protect the front header on a 90deg Vtwin after a plastic bag landed on the header and melted.
Now I see where you got your name. Sorry about your weed, dude.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The spray is to protect it? I had no idea a spray that dries out can do such a thing! After running material on very hot surfaces you would think it would dry out and break if yanked at... But this spray stops that from happening? Oh goodies!

All joking aside I look it as the back might stop some extra heat being released and change the look. Tan is the best and always will be. IMO

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts