Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reinstalling factory headers, new crush washers and everything torqued to spec, am I done? Ran through a heat cycle and cooled off, rechecked bolts and they were no longer in spec. Do I continue to tighting untill they stay spec or leave alone after initial torque of the bolts?

·
Super Moderator
2,588 Posts
I would re-torque to spec. If you don't there is no harm as long as they are not leaking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After reinstalling factory headers, new crush washers and everything torqued to spec, am I done? Ran through a heat cycle and cooled off, rechecked bolts and they were no longer in spec. Do I continue to tighting untill they stay spec or leave alone after initial torque of the bolts?
I would re-torque to spec. If you don't there is no harm as long as they are not leaking.
Thanks back2-2, thats what I did but after every heat cycle the header nuts are once again not to spec torque. I know the nuts are not backing off because I marked them with paint. Eventually the crush washer will crush all the way and should stay to the right torque but not sure this is the right approach.

·
Super Moderator
2,588 Posts
Yes but you don't want to crush the crush out of the washers or the sealing factor may be compromised. Just the one
re-torque should be more than sufficient.
Sometimes crush washers get so smashed they distort if over torqued.

Think also of it this way - when the bikes leave the factory they do a quick run up & ship. They do not go and re-torque the header nuts.

Welcome to the site also. Glad to have you aboard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts