Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
want to remove the headers to get them sandblasted and ceramic coated,the manual says I have to drain the coolant and oil cooler.
Can you remove the headers without doing all that, by moving oil cooler and radiator out of the way without all the draining of fluids?

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Removing Headers

Okay, first a caveat. I did this on my Sprint ST, so it might not be quite right (even if the engine and header is the Daytona one)

I was able to remove my headers without draining anything. I had to remove the bolts that hold the top of the radiator to the chassis and the bracketry holding the oil cooler bottom. I think I even went as far as separating the rad and oil cooler, but the upshot is that you should be able to swing the rad and cooler far enough out of the way on their pipes to be able to get at the header bolts and remove it without draining anything

Rexx

·
Registered
131 Posts
I confirm, you only need to take both fairings off, and disconnect the radiator supports and the oil cooler from the rad. It's a little pain to wedge it around, but I did it last year when I dented mine severely.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Midlife, be very careful when you take the headers off. Get someboby to help you if you intend to just remove the radiator brakets and oil cooler brackets.
I did this last year and managed to snap the bottom connector off the oil cooler and I now know I am not the only person to do this. It may end up an expensive lesson.

I managed to find a decent engineer who did a great fix, but just be careful!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts