Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I want to throw on the cone engineering shorty slip-ons, black coated color. But debating whether to just keep the current exhaust headers pipe and wrap them in black, or changing to the OEM part A9600609 Street Twin Black Exhaust Headers.
I rode to a handful of shops around LA area, and all told me to avoid wrapping the header pipes if possible due to further little issues with the wrap down the line (tears, fades, etc.).

Therefore, I am leaning towards getting the OEM black headers. I talked to the Triumph dealer where I purchased the bike and they estimated about 3-4 hours to install the pipes, around $400 for labor. They said since it's black, therefore needs to be "special handling" which I'm not sure what that entails.
A couple of local bike shops I took to said it should be a couple of hours at most, assuming $200 for the labor.
So, my question is if anyone knows how difficult is it to install the header pipes, a clean swap of another OEM part? And whether it is a 2 or 4 hours job?
Also, is this exhaust work delicate/critical that warrants the job being performed by a Triumph dealer, or is it fine for any experience motorcycle mechanic to perform?

Unfortunately, since I park the bike on the street, I have no room to work on the bike, nor do I have the tools/bike stand require for this kind of work.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
102 Posts
The headers are pretty easy to swap. It’s definitely not a $400 job. Should be an hour tops. I’m not sure where you’re located but many major cities have DIY motorcycle shops where you can rent a lift and tools for the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
720 Posts
Like @Dangerous says, it’s not a $400 job. I’m not sure what the dealers have against wrapping the original pipes? It’s not a look I especially like, or something that I would do (an ‘age’ thing, probably) but the fact remains you could do it for a lot less than the cost of new pipes and fitting. It’s your bike and modifying it in the way *you* want (not some dealer) is important.

·
1,585 Posts
They said since it's black, therefore needs to be "special handling" which I'm not sure what that entails.
It means any scratches are very easy to spot on a black painted surface, so they have to be more careful than they do for regular stainless.

In either case (stainless or not) the pipes should be wiped down with alcohol and be absolutely clean before their first heat cycle. Greasy fingerprints will leave stains otherwise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @Dangerous, that's a great suggestion. I will look into DIY shops, I live in Los Angeles area.

Thanks for confirming @Simon64ds, yeah, dealer $400 labor quote was suspiciously high.

Thanks @Delta for the tip on handling it, good to know this in the event I find a place to do it myself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I changed the headers on an old bike of mine which was a cruiser and tough to wrangle out while I had it parked under a tree. I have a Street Twin now and it definitely would take me less than an hour to do now that I have a garage. Doesn’t look complicated either. If you want a clean job (no scratches), an extra set of hands will help tremendously. $200 doesn’t seem too bad for a professional job either if you don’t want to do it yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the suggestion @Dangerous, really appreciate that, I'll go check them out. Hopefully they will have someone there too to guide me through the process? I have to admit, I've never done a job like this since I don't have a bike stand or garage & extensive tools, so, if the DIY place have someone that will also help with mentoring, that would be sweet. Unfortunately the only job I've done on me older bike is oil change (fortunately there was a center stand on my Honda) and chain cleaning on the side walk :(

Thanks @rina1504, yeah, I will go talk to some DIY place and see what they say, but if I resort to a pro job, good to know that a couple of hundred bucks is not absurd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its a pretty easy job if you take your time, and can be done with the bike on the side stand. I had to remove mine when I fitted the decat x-pipe, as seen below;

https://youtu.be/prKc0gwYT5U
Thank you so much for this awesome video @manCave It's very clear and informative. I would assume for what I need, which is basically just the header pipes, I wouldn't need to worry about removing the tank/disconnect the hose step, and no need to worry about the steps to remove the cat. Just out of curiosity, how do you know what the torque settings for the bolts on various parts of the bike (how many newton meters)? Is there a reference website somewhere or is that listed in the Street Twin manual? How do you distinguish between what is "hand tight" v.s. precise torque setting needed?
Thanks again for the video!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts