Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every since I started riding (back in 2018) I have noticed a curious, but very welcome, phenomenon; other bikers giving you a nod of the head as you pass by each other going in opposite directions. I live in London and have noticed that most bikers won't do the head nod (but some will). However, those who choose to ride scooters NEVER nod, unless it's to another scooter rider.

Whenever I have left London and am out in the countryside, the head nod becomes almost ubiquitous and I love it. Just wondering where everyone stands on the head nod. Do you like it? Do you not like it?

PS - I know in America they have a hand gesture that can be made, which is the equivalent on the the head nod, but as we're ride on the other side of the road the hand gesture can't be done.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Head nod or hand wave - all's good. (y) 😎
Personally, I love it. Makes you feel part of an exclusive club. And it doesn't matter what bike you're on. All that matters is that you have a bike.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Personally, I love it. Makes you feel part of an exclusive club. And it doesn't matter what bike you're on. All that matters is that you have a bike.
Oh it matters what bike you're on! Wait until you meet up with all those HD riders, not all of them but a good share, I've seen comments that BMW riders are similar, not seen that as much as HD riders though.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Unwritten rules are that you don't nod at scooters, or learners (although I'll break that rule if they nod at me first), probably less common in London because there's more bikes so you'd be nodding like the Churchill dog, and the traffics probably too busy.
It can be a bit hit and miss around here though, Harley and GS owners especially, weirdly I think I get fewer nods when I'm on the Thruxton than on the Daytona, maybe think I'm just a Sunday riding hipster wannabe :p .
I remember during my DAS I got my first nod off another Biker when we'd moved up to the 500s, it felt good and made me more determined to pass my test and become a member of this exclusive club.(y)

·
Registered
83 Posts
In the states here. Its...fine, I guess. Frankly, I could take it or leave it but I do wave.

Yes, HD guys seem to be the pickiest about who they wave to but whatever. If they want to be douches then that's their hang up. Whats funny is that it generally seems to be the weekend warrior Doctor/Lawyer-by-day-leather-clad-"badass"-on-the-weekend types who seem to turn their noses up at sport bikes or really anything that aint a HD.

Thankfully in the time that I've been riding, it seems like those attitudes have faded somewhat.

Going a bit into the weeds on this but as far as the community aspect of being a rider; I gotta be honest, its really faded for me over the years. I used to be heavily involved with lots of motorcycle groups and motorcyclists have been some of the nicest people I know...but for everyone 1 of these people, there are at least 10 idiots. I've been on countless group rides that were ruined by somebody trying to show off and have almost been killed by other riders on at least two separate occasions.

These days I tend to ride solo.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unwritten rules are that you don't nod at scooters, or learners (although I'll break that rule if they nod at me first), probably less common in London because there's more bikes so you'd be nodding like the Churchill dog, and the traffics probably too busy.
I used to get bikers nod at me when I was on my 125cc with the L-plates. Maybe it was because of the cafe racer styling. The area of London where I live doesn't tend to see a lot of bikes, so the nod thing does tend to happen more often than not. Hardly happens if I venture more central or even south of the river. Ah well.

Oh it matters what bike you're on! Wait until you meet up with all those HD riders, not all of them but a good share, I've seen comments that BMW riders are similar, not seen that as much as HD riders though.
I've passed a couple of guys of Harleys and they nodded. Same as BMW riders, some on sports bikes and even a Ducati. Maybe it's a UK thing. Maybe it's because of my helmet and mask. Either way it's nice when it happens.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember during my DAS I got my first nod off another Biker when we'd moved up to the 500s, it felt good and made me more determined to pass my test and become a member of this exclusive club.(y)
When I passed my mod 2, after going through the feedback of the ride with the examiner, he said "congratulation and welcome to the club". Which was a really nice touch. Had me beaming and buzzing with excitement all the way on the ride back from the test centre.

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
Could not agree more. I throw a wave to whom ever and what ever other riders are riding. It's just a nice thing to do -
Sort of saying "hey were all in this together".

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could not agree more. I throw a wave to whom ever and what ever other riders are riding. It's just a nice thing to do -
Sort of saying "hey were all in this together".
YES! This ^^^

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I look out for people on scooters and small motorcycles and give 'em a low key wave. I remember feeling pretty cool when the big bikers would give me the rider's fist salute when I was 16 and running around on my Yamaha 125. These days, if somebody nods or waves I try to reciprocate if safe to do so.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I always try to acknowledge a fellow motorcyclist / biker no matter what they ride because I've been the person on that type of bike going the other way . I'm the guy who pulled over and found out if someone at the side of the road is ok and if not and able to do so gone home for a van or trailer . Yes it is a big club and you have to be aware that there are other clubs within it . You will come across the odd maroon ( deliberate misspelling ) just leave them in their own private world . And sometimes if I'm in the mood for hooning it might not be safe to wave or nod , I hereby apologise to those who may feel slighted I was concentrating on "making progress ".

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
I used to get bikers nod at me when I was on my 125cc with the L-plates. Maybe it was because of the cafe racer styling. The area of London where I live doesn't tend to see a lot of bikes, so the nod thing does tend to happen more often than not. Hardly happens if I venture more central or even south of the river. Ah well.

I've passed a couple of guys of Harleys and they nodded. Same as BMW riders, some on sports bikes and even a Ducati. Maybe it's a UK thing. Maybe it's because of my helmet and mask. Either way it's nice when it happens.
And it may just be more prevalent in the US,

·
Registered
24 Posts
I even wave at motorcyclists when I'm riding my bicycle (but I typically only get befuddled stares). I always wave when I'm I my motorcycle, reciprocated around 75% of the time in the San Diego area. To me, it's common courtesy and an acknowledgment of enjoying the ride and staying safe. Wave on.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
I almost always wave (unless I'm mid-hairpin or sat with the clutch pulled in - then it's a nod). I also wave at the kids on small bikes - there's quite a few at my kids' school with 50s and 125s and they should be encouraged to keep it up. If I don't get a wave back, so what - I certainly don't get mardy about it and can't say there's any particular brand that's less wave-y than others. Around here it tends to have more to do with the time of year. If you're riding outside the traditional riding season, everyone waves. In the summer, there are that many bikes heading down to the Alps that I can understand why a lot of them don't bother.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maybe it's just a southern thing, but I just recently moved to North Carolina from California and have been amazed at how many people wave at me while I'm on my bike from inside their vehicles. I tend not to respond because I didn't expect it and it usually doesn't register with me until they've passed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Come to think of it, when on my bicycle, I've also used a simple thumbs up for on coming and passing motorcyclists, perhaps a more contextually understood signal from non-riders. The wave, a nod or a thumbs up, it's all good!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been on a scooter more years than a motorcycle. The first couple years (scooter), I waved at pretty much everyone and it would make my day when some motorcyclist FINALLY returned my wave...maybe 5% would wave back, but no one would ever wave first. When I switched to motorcycles, I noticed that maybe 80% would wave back and it was always a toss-up for who would wave first. I didn't think much of it, aside from making a point of waving at scooterists. Sure, most of them didn't recognize what I was doing, but I frequently got double-takes and huge grins from the ones that did.
When I switched back to a scooter, the waves from other riders, especially if they weren't riding solo, all but DISAPPEARED. Okay...fine. They can take their elitism and blow it up their intake via the exhaust.
These days, I pretty much only initiate a wave with scooters. I'll usually nod at solo motorcyclists in reply. If it's open road or a popular motorcycle route such as the Blue Ridge Parkway, I'll wave back if my hand is free.

I'll still nod or wave occasionally and, any time I can, pull over to offer help for any rider who looks like they might need it, but I got a dose of reality on the whole "community" thing. I'm good without the veneer.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts