Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how hard is that to say?? I say it all the time. However, some people learn really slow. Yesterday at deal's gap on hwy 28 an approximately 55 year old man on an APRILIA TUONO 1000 R high sided and crashed hard exiting a turn. broke both ankles, and both wrists. took the ambulance about 40 minutes to get there, then its an hour ride to the hospital. he had too much pride to let some guy on a R1 get past him, so in his haste he crashed out almost taking out both of them. if someone "catches" me, they are simply faster than I am, or in a bigger hurry, and I let them by. how does someone make it to 55 and not realize that? Ride within your limits folks, dont get sucked into trying to outrun someone especially on the street. Stay safe, and realize there IS always someone faster than you.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Thanks Wannab,

Very good advice and timely now that riding season in the US and Canada is beginning. Pride does come before the fall.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is Rick Peppin AKA Yellow Wolf, great guy and yes "he is faster than me" LOL, the guy that was on the R1 behind the geezer that crashed is much faster than Rick though. Speed is always relative, what is fast to me might be really slow to you and vice versa. some people "think" they are fast, while getting passed by someone else on a "slow" day. nothing more humbling than to be a young kid in full race leathers on a new liter bike with race quality "works" suspension, only to get passed by a fat guy on a yellow gold wing sipping his coffee :D

.... absolutely wannab 'go your own way' :D

Riding beyond your capabilities is sheer folly!

Now if this guy on a Goldwing comes up behind you at Deals Gap - let him through ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Sage advice wannab. I've learned that lesson the hard way! :(

·
Registered
509 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly. If somebody catches me on a road like Deals Gap or 28, then he is "faster". I may not be riding full out, and usually don't unless I am on a race track. I apply the same philosophy I would on a track. Look for a safe place, raise left hand and let him/her (yes, I have been passed by females) go. I might tuck in behind them if the mood strikes, and see what I can learn but if they are putting distance on me in every corner, I tuck my ego back twixt my legs and go back to enjoying MY ride.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have made a really firm habbit of not riding beyond my line of sight, sounds obvious but I keep catching myself assuming the next bend doesnt have a guy on a cellphone coming at me in my line, or a fallen tree. The unseen and the faster will get right of way from me w/o much arguement.

Tony

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I learned that lesson last year from a fellow member of this site and I respect him for that every time I ride.

I luckily have never had an accident from riding outside my skills but I should have.

I road with Ulsterspud last year to Canada's Dragon or Deals Gap and we road for about 3000kms together. Out here in the prairies we just road together and not a bid deal, everything is flat and straight. When we got into BC he schooled me, I mean schooled me.

He took me aside before we road the twists and told me not to try and keep up and just ride my pace. I thought yeah whatever pal, see you at the first stop. Oh how wrong was I. He road me into the ground and I couldnt keep up if my life depended on it. So I heeded his advice and just road to my abilities and had a great day.

Whenever we got the the next stop he was waiting for me and we had a great day and that is my point, ride to have a great day and not end up in the ditch.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i thought that video looked familiar, the v twins in the back ground were me and my buddy mike. we were riding out in front of "that" 18 wheeler letting people know it was coming. the purple warrior was me :D still you would not believe the people in cars, who keep going even as you are flagging them over. only to hear car tires squeal behind you and them backing up LOL. we usually ride a little further in front of the big rigs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6haNzNzWG-0&feature=player_embedded

..... OK - watch this little clip of 18 wheelers at Deals Gap :eek:

Note that he toots his horn as he approaches blind corners on the wrong side of the road - which makes it OK :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv9MPYHjADU&feature=related

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
... same here cal - I have ridden with DaveM a couple of times when I've been in Australia.
He is way more skilled than me - and I know he would rather wait a couple of minutes at the next stop than be helping to haul me out of a ditch!

Thank you for the compliment Grant. You are quite right I would rather wait a couple of minutes, than have someone be riding outside their comfort zone, that is just dangerous, and an accident will eventually ensue.

I dragged some guy I don't know out of a ditch last Sunday morning actually.

Well I helped my 3 riding friends pull his Fireblade out a ditch ....well up a 45 degree embankment really.

Anyhow, as I have said before when I was younger I had a habit of riding beyond my abilities trying to keep up with my older and much more skilled friends. I crashed a lot and I learned a lot.

But it is not a good way to learn.

I have encountered many 4 x 4's here on winding roads crossing the double lines and it is never a nice surprise.

BTW Grant I have met up a couple of times recently with Dave, that is AussiebikerDave the guy you rent the bikes off, he is a good guy and can certainly handle a bike, he was on a Bking last time I saw him, but he has quite a collection including a tasty little Street Triple.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great advice!

I started motorcycling relatively later than most. Until age 36, I never so much as sat on a bike. One of the reasons I waited so long is because I know myself.

As a teen with a brand new license living near a plethora of twisties, I pushed things like most teens do. But as a friend once put it - whereas most kids get a few tickets and/or accidents and calm down, I got no tickets and had no accidents and I kept pushing until I actually learned what I was doing.

It wasn't until I felt confident in being mature enough to not push my luck in the same way again that I considered getting a bike. I still feel that "must go fast" compulsion, but I can control it.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
how hard is that to say?? I say it all the time. However, some people learn really slow. Yesterday at deal's gap on hwy 28 an approximately 55 year old man on an APRILIA TUONO 1000 R high sided and crashed hard exiting a turn. broke both ankles, and both wrists. took the ambulance about 40 minutes to get there, then its an hour ride to the hospital. he had too much pride to let some guy on a R1 get past him, so in his haste he crashed out almost taking out both of them. if someone "catches" me, they are simply faster than I am, or in a bigger hurry, and I let them by. how does someone make it to 55 and not realize that? Ride within your limits folks, dont get sucked into trying to outrun someone especially on the street. Stay safe, and realize there IS always someone faster than you.
Spot on.

No hero ever tried to keep up, they just bide their time...

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Totally off topic but I am a Liverpool fan and have a Liverpool FC scarf and watch the matches whenever they are on the local sports channel. A jersey is on my list!

My wife is from Liverpool so you can only be a fan of Liverpool here in my home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts