Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try to buy a set of take-off mag wheels from a Harley FX dyna low rider. They're 19'' front 17'' rear like our bonnies, and single front disk as well.

I'd have to figure out the spacing as well as the speedo drive, and also sprockets etc, but I think it could work.

These would look cool, plus the rear will take a 160mm tire (and maybe bigger).

check 'em:

I know it would require some custom machine work, but it should would look nice.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So maybe the rear wheel is a 16'' instead of a 17'', can anyone tell me what difference that will make? Affect gearing, ride height, handing, etc?

I bet the total diameter with a tire of a 16'' wheel vs a 17'' wheel isn't very different, and you could always get taller tires...

can anyone poke holes in this?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Good idea, I'm curious to see how it turns out. IMO nothing looks better than a classic spoked wheel. That being said, I wouldn't mind going to mags for ease of maintenance and tubeless tires.

Can't wait to see how they look!

·
Registered
401 Posts
On 2006-11-14 11:41, sweatmachine wrote:
So maybe the rear wheel is a 16'' instead of a 17'', can anyone tell me what difference that will make? Affect gearing, ride height, handing, etc?

I bet the total diameter with a tire of a 16'' wheel vs a 17'' wheel isn't very different, and you could always get taller tires...

can anyone poke holes in this?
You should be able to get a taller tire to keep the same overall tire height without a problem. If you do that, the rear end will have a more plush feeling because of the extra sidewall, vice the 17" rim. On the same note, side-to-side handling may be compromised a little bit, because of the additional sidewall flex.

·
Registered
589 Posts
You could just change your bike over to a belt drive as well, while you are at it. I didnt miss a chain, the belt is nice!!!

Nathan

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I don't know sweat?????
I would stay with the classic look of the spokes.
There is no mag wheels that look as good as nice shinny
rims and spokes.
Mag wheels on a bike just don't do it for me.

But , I know your dieing to tinker with some else on your bike.
Bill

·
Registered
290 Posts
sweatmachine

Harley uses a speedo drive on the left front wheel on the 90's Sportster, it's the left wheel spacer and has a tang that goes in a hole in the hub (just out side of the wheel bearing) You can also buy a drive sprocket for a Sportster that'll bolt right to the rear wheel. I'd have to look, but I think I might even have an extra speedo drive unit out in the shop. There's a company out there that makes all different size rear drive sprockets for the Harley race bikes (US Twin Sports class) so gearing wouldn't be any big deal. Depends on what track we ran on made the difference of what gearing we ran.

·
Registered
188 Posts
u could also look into a gps speedo they make them for harley builders

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey Sweat,
the 2005 Dynas have 17" rears, but the wheel design is not the same old school mag look.
Also, here's what I was telling you about. the 79 bonnie looks tough with mags (but maybe it's the kicker, they always make a bike look tough :-D ).

fatstring (forever playing tag with the Sausage Creature)

[ This message was edited by: fatstring on 2006-11-16 16:30 ]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.