Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just announced. Profits down 58%. Good thing they blew all that money buying MV Agusta....

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
That's sad. Don't like it when people loose their job. Also it could be bad for the future of MV Agusta. Don't want the marque to go away.

·
Registered
623 Posts
THe fact that Harley owns MV Augusta might SAVE MV Augusta. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly, MVA was close to shuttering when Harley stepped in.

Ditto

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
You may be right Silver, in that today looks like a typical capitulation mode: down steep on huge volume. But I'm not sure I'm ready to reach out and potentially catch what may be a falling knife. I'm concerned that the dividend will be cut significantly. Their cash to debt numbers are weak: $505 million cash vs. $3.17 billion in debt, significant negative cash flow, a finance division which is in gridlock, etc. I think I'd be more inclined to buy at a higher price, when I have a better sense that things are turning.
:confused:

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Maybe they should have bought Piaggio, closer in spirit to HD, than MV could ever be anyway - probably couldn't afford them or simply weren't paying attention. I mean... as if the world needs another Sport bike or cruiser - Mopeds at 150mpg maybe! From Riches to Rags HD could reinvent themselves and become the Moped Co of the Americas and mobilise a nation... but no, it had to buy MV didn't it... for crying outloud - Pride comes before a Fall, oh well! :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
At the time HD bought MV the economy was not so bad. HD needed a path to a younger demographic than their own products address. The average HD spends more on Grecian Formula than on gasoline.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Will Triumph be next to swing the axe:(
No sign of that yet. sales were down but not anything like the crash in car sales.

But who knows if it gets worse the axe will swing everywhere.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Word on the street here (final assembly plant is here in York, PA) is that HD has requested a "bail out" of sorts from the U.S. federal government to help with their finance division.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
I don't think so, wabill.
Triumph has the advantages of being privately owned, and a business plan that attempts to equate production with demand, has limited dealer obligations, etc. Curiously, much of what Triumph does are things people railed about in the last few years-not displaying at the big bike shows, not spending big bucks in ads, not securing large dealerships, etc. So it goes.
I think they have a pretty good grasp of things.
And anyhoo, I've got me bike, its paid for, there are people who will sell me mods and wrenchers who will keep it fit...
So, I'm happy!
:)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Word on the street here (final assembly plant is here in York, PA) is that HD has requested a "bail out" of sorts from the U.S. federal government to help with their finance division.
Of course they want a handout!
It's the way of the current generation.
Sit your kids in front of the supermarket and teach them to beg so they can play soccer without mom and dad paying.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Oh yea, you know it! Willie G has always got his hand out for a free be. Maybe this is the way we can silence those straight pipe posers!:D Screw'em it's a hard life, they shouldn't have invested in vintage mechanical isolation economics or MV Augusta. They deserve everything they get, except my tax money for a bailout! I didn't put them their and I could care less about pullin their arse out of the fire.;) I guess one way or another we'll be paying for them anyway. Either a bailout of unemployment. Maybe Wille G. and Company ought to freeze there salaries or just not pay themselves for a couple of years and the employees take a pay salary cut if their jobs and the Harley Heritage is so all mighty important to them. You know give one up for the gipper!!:D

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
HD - over-engineered over-elaborate over-rated

I could say over-here but I will not go to that level.

Mind you - look at the fiasco of the Royal Bank of Scotland. Over-paid over-rated incompetent executives and non-executives (this is still to come out the role of the self-serving non-execs - watch the legal bloodbath) have destroyed a great bank.

So as Skull says let em rot in the mess of their own making :D

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Any time families lose their jobs is a sad, sad day. Things are very bad right now. The medical field is one of the most secure as far as jobs go. But I would venture to say every US state has atleast one hospital (some have several) slated to close. For instance New Jersey has had almost 8 closings in two years. This on the edge of the baby boomer retirement.
I am sure HD is going to weather this just fine as will the other manufacturerers. When they need to tighten a belt FTEs are the easiest and biggest area for savings.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
That's it my flag is upside down and I'm gonna file bankruptcy just for the hell of it. Maybe I'll qualify for a Federal Bailout!:Angry_98OLVV::brick:
Cheers
Jeff
When I stand on my head it is right side up. But at my current weight and age I do not plan on doing that. :D

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
I am sure HD is going to weather this just fine as will the other manufacturerers.
Folks, thanks a lot for the concern, but I'm fine! Really! And I'm not even in manufacturing! But again, thanks for thinking... wait a sec. :confused:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts