Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Haynes manual and was thinking of buying the Triumph manual. Is it a waste of money? Does the Haynes manual cover everything I need or will I find a little bit more in the factory manual? I don't mind spending the cash if it covers more. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have both, and I use both. The manual's line drawings are great for showing how things are supposed to fit, and it's nice to know that you're doing it the factory way. However, the Haynes manual uses actual photographs, and it was written by folks actually doing the maintenance, and documenting each step with appropriate photographs (reproduction isn't grate, but it helps when you can see what the part actually looks like, rather than just a line drawing.)

YMMV

·
Registered
84 Posts
Haynes- written by Stevie Wonder I wonder?

I've NEVER found a Haynes manual to be worth the paper they are printed on.
This experience dates back over 30 years, and includes manuals on (amongst others) Series 2 Land Rover, BMW air cooled models, Kawa 3 cylinder, BMW K series, Honda 400, 500 and 750 single cam 4's, Harley Fergusons, the list goes on, and so could I.

The best thing to do with a Haynes manual is to throw it as far as you can, which isn't far enough, and buy a factory manual.
The much-vaunted picures of an alledgedly genuine rebuild are so vague, generic and poorly taken as to be useless.

But that's just my opinion!
If you ever meet someone who says Haynes manuals are good, don't argue with them, just give their seeing eye dog a pat.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I get both...the Haynes I keep by the pooper for reading and prepping for what may happen.

factory manual is for when I get myself in trouble for following the Haynes incorrectly.

-simpson

1 - 4 of 4 Posts