Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question about the Haynes manual and the way it refers you to VIN numbers. In many places within the manual it says up to VIN XXXX. Sometimes it has a 4 digit number, others it has a 5 digit number.

My VIN is a long string of numbers and letters. Is the Haynes manual referring to the last 4 or 5 numbers in the string? My last 5 digits are 43625 (a 97 Trident 900), which seems to be a fairly high number since most of the references in the manual refers to ‘up to 4XXX’, or the low to mid 4 thousands. Any guidance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
help

hi bernie can you help me have you any idea where i can get the tool that resets my throttle bodies i know of tuneboy they cost 265 im hoping to find a cheaper one thanks bill
ps i cant help with your question

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Bernie, they are referring to the end of the VIN. The last 6 digits of the VIN are the serial, so 036xxx for my '96 Trident, 043625 for your '97, 183xxx for my '04 Sprint RS... IIRC, 004302 was some sort of big change for the early Hinckley bikes. There were a lot of incremental changes after that.

HTH,
-Kit

Bill, you may want to start your own thread, and also tell us what you ride, why you want to reset your throttle bodies, and where you are. That being said, a TuneBoy is probably a very good investment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts