Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone...

Ok, I have a 2007 Speedmaster that I bought new in '08. It went to California with me late that year and didn't see a lot of miles at all early on...as a result, the techs at Munroe in San Francisco told me in '09 that I could probably skip the 2nd overall scheduled service for a while.

I still only have about 3,500 miles on the bike now, but it's been 4 years since the initial 500 mile service, so I'm going to take it in.

My question is, should I do it before the winter or wait until the spring? Since I moved to Chicago in 2010, I've been winterizing (removing battery, adding fuel stabilizer, etc.), because the consensus seems to be slightly towards doing that over the whole turning it on once a month and running it school of thought.

But recently, a tech at Motoworks said it's not all that necessary to do so. What's the opinion of all you guys here...should I get the service done now or wait, and should I winterize either way?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'd be more concerned at the lack of oil changes - especially if you were doing the running it once a month thing for the first couple of years. As a result you probably have an acid bath where most people have oil.

I do them less often than most people, but I do believe that oil should be changed at least once a year - before Winter storage on a low mileage bike.

That apart, removing the battery if the bike isn't going to be used for a few months seems commonsense, but I've never felt a need to use a fuel stabilisor. Keep the tank full overWinter though - even if condensation doesn't cause rusting it can certainly make a bike misfire.

Rob

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I've actually had 2 oil changes since the 500m service...one probably around 1,500 and one around 3,250. Hopefully that's kept things relatively clean!

Thanks for the input - cheers!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Munroe in San Francisco
This is off-topic, but I visited California (from Pittsburgh) a couple years ago and stopped in there just for the hell of it. They were really great people! Let me hang out and shoot the bull for a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts