Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I know they are on my '98 Daytona, but I think those on my '05 Thruxton were rubber. But, don't own the Thrux anymore so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Yep, battery works fine until it doesn't. It's time to put in a new one, because yours is not going to last much longer.
At one point in time YUASAs would work just fine until one time you would turn the key and you would here a somewhat quite click and that was the end of the battery. This was a while back and I don't know if still happens or if YUASA has addressed the problem.

·
Registered
242 Posts
At one point in time YUASAs would work just fine until one time you would turn the key and you would here a somewhat quite click and that was the end of the battery. This was a while back and I don't know if still happens or if YUASA has addressed the problem.
My battery is now 14 years old (I have no idea whether it is a Yuasa or not, but it is a lead/ battery). I charge it once per month with a trickle charger, and run the Triumph for about 2,000 miles/year.

Is there any possibility that this battery will ‘short out and take something with it’, of course not, the battery is a sealed box and cannot create a short circuit without a mechanical calamity. It might hold less charge one day, but I have not noticed any diminution of its capacity and it still starts the Triumph well.

Should I change the battery for a new one just because it is 14 years old: that would be an absurd thing to do as there are no mechanical parts to wear out. When its capacity starts to reduce I’ll replace it with a new one of the same type.

Best wishes,

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
without a mechanical calamity.
Vibration!
I did have one fail on me quite some time ago in the fashion I described. Just once, some time ago & never had that problem since. I would think the problem was corrected years ago.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a short. An internal short would not damage outside parts, just reduce the ability of the battery. Probably should not have posted that. Rather amazing that it lasted for so long. But, what if it decides to finally quit when you are far from home? Like you stop and then try to start up and it won't crank the engine over. You got your monies worth, but it's your call. I replaced my car battery after 7 years. No issues whats so ever, but I didn't want to have issues come winter out of the blue. Probably would have lasted 10yrs, but in the scheme of things, batteries are not that expensive for how long they can last.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a short. An internal short would not damage outside parts, just reduce the ability of the battery. Probably should not have posted that. Rather amazing that it lasted for so long. But, what if it decides to finally quit when you are far from home? Like you stop and then try to start up and it won't crank the engine over. You got your monies worth, but it's your call. I replaced my car battery after 7 years. No issues whats so ever, but I didn't want to have issues come winter out of the blue. Probably would have lasted 10yrs, but in the scheme of things, batteries are not that expensive for how long they can last.
Maybe you are right. I’m going to do the large service (valve clearance) in a couple of weeks, perhaps I treat the bike to a new £50 battery then :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine's pretty heavy on batteries. A good tip some years ago from Forastero? if you get the "click", nothing happens. Pull the cover orf that shields the starter solenoid, and short out the solenoid. Easy peasy, you don't have to pull in the clutch lever. (It's easy to fool a Bonnies brane!)

·
Registered
177 Posts
all i have done to my bike in 5 years is oil, rear pads, tires, replaced the chain once and sprockets, clean the pod filters yearly and barnett green clutch springs.
i was thinking about this spring replacing the spark plugs, and maybe wash her for once.
the only time i have a hard time starting it is when is super cold out and i wanna go for a ride, other than that she is a beauty with me!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts