Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Scrambler with about 30k on the clock.

Apart from changing the oil and filter annually and I think chain and brake pads once, I have done zero maintenance on the bike. The bike runs very strong but I am beginning to feel a little guilty.

What maintenance things should I do ? To be honest I'm not anxious to check the valves as that seems a major hassle. But otherwise I'm open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
if you've changed engine oil and filter annually and looked after brake pads and chains that's taken care of the essentials. surely you've replaced the tyres at some stage?

probably best to refer to the owners manual and see what should be done at that mileage, but I would be changing brake fluid, air cleaner, fork oil and making sure all the nuts and bolts are tight (especially foot pegs) and that there are no loose or broken spokes

my Bonnie has done over 100,000 miles and until about now the valves have not required re-shimming. they are easy to check but I wouldnt stress that they would need re-shimming

·
Registered
706 Posts
I was going to say coolant for a minute but I presume that's air cooled :p
Definitely a brake fluid change front and rear, cleaning and greasing any moving parts such as brake and gear levers, side stand etc. Probably should have had a couple of air filters by now and obviously brake pad and chain and socket changes when required.
a valve clearance check would be a good idea, it's really very simple and I'm sure there's guides on here or YouTube to help, even if you don't want to tackle the adjustment if it's required.
Wheel bearing and seal check, headstock bearings for play, a general fastener check around the bike.

·
Super Moderator
1,612 Posts
Hello,
Brake Fluid flush and refill.
Air filter.
Spark plug.
Tires
Fork oil.
Spoke check.
Battery if never changed.
That's about all I can think of - They are very simple and robust bikes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should have mentioned- I did a brake flush a couple of times and replaced tires. I even think I changed the air filter once. I also use seafoam regularly.

And yes-they are tough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can some kind person tell me the air filter part number for a 2006 Scrambler.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just pulled my air filter out- not so bad actually. Although I think some insect made a little home in it.

Thanks for all the help.

Btw how important is changing the fork oil. I don't have a motorcycle stand.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
After 14 yrs, it's important. You can hang the front end from a large step ladder or rafter or simply support under the engine with a jack. The fluid generally turns black and sludgy. Do the seals as well. Find a friend who has done the service.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Btw how important is changing the fork oil. I don't have a motorcycle stand.
You can make a stand pretty cheap,
I've seen a variation of this with just a simple 2 X and a 4' piece of pipe with a hole drilled in the end of the 2X and lever it up the same as in the video. make something to hold the back end down while working on the front end.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
They are tough - I have a 2005 T100 with 34k. Have had it since new and have ridden it hard.Put a chain and sprockets on around 27k. I've checked my valves and they were in the middle of the tolerances , both at 12k and 24k. And I have a K&N reusable filter. Besides that - tires brakes and oil. These are such simple bikes.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine is the same bike - 2006 Scrambler. It is as tough as old boots, so I don’t think you will have any problems catching up with a bit ofmaintenance.

Change the oil and filters a lot, flush out the brake fluid every now and then, change the brake pads and tyres when they wear out. My bike still has the original battery (it works fine so why change it). Next month I’m going to do the major service (valve clearances check).

Best wishes,

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
Yep, battery works fine until it doesn't. It's time to put in a new one, because yours is not going to last much longer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yep, battery works fine until it doesn't. It's time to put in a new one, because yours is not going to last much longer.
I thought that 10 years ago, but the battery is still going strong :) Often lead/acid batteries don’t suddenly fail, but gradually become less efficient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts