Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday on my commute home traffic was slow as it usually is on rush hour. On one long stretch of 2 lane road, there was a crate with a huge gap in front of it and to the right was a fairly long turn lane. I looked at the turn lane and determined I had more than enough room to pass the cager safely. So I executed the maneuver.

When passing the cager I noticed it was my coworker and thought to myself "I'll hear it in the morning". ..and I did.

Her argument was "what if I was someone else and decided to accelerate?" and I didn't have the heart to tell her that it wouldn't have mattered. The Bonneville was in her sweet spot and unless the cage is worth about 100k it could not have made the block fast enough. Even if it did, I would have merely hit both brakes and gotten behind the cager as there was space before and after. I was very aware of my surroundings...

So anyone else here piss off a cager?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Judging from reactions I get. I believe I piss them off solely by existing on the road. I don't even have to do anything.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Apparently all 6 of us on the forum group ride to Big Bear pissed off one particular SUV driver??

We were cruising at around 70mph on I-215 North...three-lane freeway, #2 lane, and I was in the lead....checked my mirrors to see an SUV had cut into our formation (for the second time, I found out later) and was tailgating our second rider, MKNG TRX. Seeing it for what it was, I immediately moved to the right lane, and MKNG TRX followed suit...only to have the SUV driver attempt to pass in the right lane at the exact same time.....he went straight back to the #2 lane and blasted by MKNG TRX and pulled level with me briefly to flip me off and yell obscenities at me (duly returned!) before blasting off into the distance.

I have no idea what any of us did wrong...all we did was try to get out of the way of a plainly aggressive driver....I have no idea what makes people act so differently once they are cocooned inside a metal box??....Plus, the guy looked like he was a bit of a shortarse....like he's gonna take on six guys by himself if we met under different circumstances??? I seriously doubt it.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
On a regular basis.

I don't wait on latte drinking, cell phone talking, makeup applying, cigarette lighting arses to get out of my way. I generally just go around them. It aint always the legal way either and my commute is only 2 miles.

I get so pissed when I'm in my truck because then I have to wait on them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I let the left-lane sitters get to me more than I should but yesterday was worse than usual. An SUV in the left lane that dragged a** down the road hovering next to any car in the right lane it could use to regulate traffic the way the driver thought we should all behave.

When we finally got where I could pass I saw it was a 'soccer mom' (and not the fun kind) with her kid in the passenger seat screaming into a cell phone. I sort of wonder if she was on the phone with police or whoever yelling about that scary biker chasing her and her child. By the way I'm 5'4" and 140lbs.

Whenever she wasn't next to a right lane car she was all over two lanes and talking on a cell phone clutched to the side of her head. I don't ever gamble but I'm willing to bet that if she'd been in an accident while doing all that she would have been convinced it was the other person's fault.

Cagers like that are why I have a helmet cam.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Judging from reactions I get. I believe I piss them off solely by existing on the road. I don't even have to do anything.
I absolutely believe that's true about Prius drivers. Especially when they see a bike that gets 70+ mpg.
Imagine spending all that money to be the most efficient vehicle on the road only to be passed by something getting one and half to twice the mpg. :laughhard

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
Yesterday, while walking to the bus stop, I watched a fella rolling along in stop and go traffic with his face in his lap, texting. I stepped off the curb, rapped on his window and asked him to put it away before he ran over someone. He told me to fek off so I took a picture of the front of his Suburban. That seemed to piss him off but there wasn't anything he could do in moving traffic. There are more pedestrian fatalities down town than injuries to motorcycles.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
49 Posts
so this happened to me the other day.

morning commute. was at a stop light. "middle" lane was go straight, left was left turn and right was straight or right. was at the first position of the light. light turns green i take off, not blazing fast but enough to get me far and out from every one. car in the right lane takes of with me. i am ahead of him hit my "10mph" over the speed limit and drop down to 5mph over. car in the right proceeds to pass then to try and enter my lane with no turn signal right into me. honk my horn, he moves back over, signals so i let him in. i see him waving his arms and what not at me. so i move to the right to get aways from him. and we get stuck at the next light right next to each other. i look at him give him a shake of the head and the "look where you are going" gesture. he rolls down his window and tells me to slow down because he has "four wheels". i tell him that he tried to come into MY lane with no signal or anything. tells me AGAIN to slow down because he has 4 wheels. that really pisses me off so i tell him to go "eff himself and give him the one finger salute." and take off at the green light. he proceeds to lay on his horn.

unfortunately, things like that happen. but for him to think i did something wrong and that he has more right to the road cause "he has 4 wheels"... cagers...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Apparently all 6 of us on the forum group ride to Big Bear pissed off one particular SUV driver??

We were cruising at around 70mph on I-215 North...three-lane freeway, #2 lane, and I was in the lead....checked my mirrors to see an SUV had cut into our formation (for the second time, I found out later) and was tailgating our second rider, MKNG TRX. Seeing it for what it was, I immediately moved to the right lane, and MKNG TRX followed suit...only to have the SUV driver attempt to pass in the right lane at the exact same time.....he went straight back to the #2 lane and blasted by MKNG TRX and pulled level with me briefly to flip me off and yell obscenities at me (duly returned!) before blasting off into the distance.

I have no idea what any of us did wrong...all we did was try to get out of the way of a plainly aggressive driver....I have no idea what makes people act so differently once they are cocooned inside a metal box??....Plus, the guy looked like he was a bit of a shortarse....like he's gonna take on six guys by himself if we met under different circumstances??? I seriously doubt it.
When leading group rides I'm always amazed at people who pull into the formation like it's ok. How can you be so clueless? Does it just not occur to some people that those 7 or 8 bikes riding in staggered formation just might be together? ...and why is it an impatient SUV more often than not?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Every day, I would imagine. My credo is I take responsibility for my self on the road, I don't put anybody else on the road in jeopardy, I don't speed around residential areas, schools and playgrounds, I don't interfere with anybody else getting where they are trying to go...but all that said, I wait for no one, and the traffic regulations are just a suggestion.

As George Bush (erroneously) once said of the terrorists, "They hate us for our freedom."

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
If a motorcycle or a group of motorcycles is traveling so slowly that an SUV is being held up there's something wrong. The motorcyclers are either inept, inconsiderate, rude or maybe all three.

It isn't only the "cagers" that are dicks.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
If a motorcycle or a group of motorcycles is traveling so slowly that an SUV is being held up there's something wrong. The motorcyclers are either inept, inconsiderate, rude or maybe all three.

It isn't only the "cagers" that are dicks.
We were traveling at about 70mph in a 65mph limit..we weren't in the fast lane...the fact that the driver of the SUV wanted to cruise at about 90mph regardless of who was in his way is hardly our concern.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I piss them off all the time - unlike the cages, I do the speed limit. Nothing angers a rush hour commuter like a guy obeying traffic laws.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I piss them off all the time - unlike the cages, I do the speed limit. Nothing angers a rush hour commuter like a guy obeying traffic laws.
I get behind that guy all the time. You know the one - going along at exactly the speed limit or 5 to 10 below. With no passing lanes. For 15 miles. Somehow he thinks he's just fine and in the right because he's not speeding. Apparently he forgot that the law also says you're supposed to pull to the side if you're holding up more than 6 vehicles. Note it doesn't say 'unless you are going the speed limit'. It just says pull your ass over.

Last week I was behind that guy on highway 160 here in the delta. A road where, a few years back, they painted out all the passing lanes. By the time we got to the one intersection (highway 12) and he turned off, I was able to count 25 vehicles stuck behind him. I got up along side him at the light and he looked over at me while I gave him the 'what the hell man?' look. Then he continued eating his sandwich.

That guy is more dangerous than any speeder I've seen. He causes more road-rage than any speeder I've seen. Short of a drunk, he's the worst guy I've encountered on the highway.

I'm not a fan of that guy. I would be happy to do very bad things to that guy, though I haven't yet done so. That guy is just lucky he hasn't messed with that OTHER guy yet; the one with less self control than me. Things could get very ugly for that guy in such a situation.

:mad:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Wow you really have anger problems.

I do the speed limit, obey traffic laws - which also means riding in the carpool lane or the right lane.

So you can just F-off and pass in the passing lane like a good little cager.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Arbitrary "speed limit" signs, are only to keep the non-drivers and non-rider's from hurting themselves as they clearly could not drive/ride safely without being told how to.
I drive/ride at whatever speed is safe for the conditions, PERIOD.

Eric

1 - 20 of 91 Posts