Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting here thinking of the mods I've put on my Bonnie. I've done the suspension bits Kawasaki KZ (Thrux length) shocks in the rear, Intimidaters under the front springs. The requisite louder pipes, TORs in my case. Wrench free screws for the seat and side panels. K&N air filter. Mercury (1945) dime on the choke pull. Dart Flyscreen. Oil temp gauge. And... a centerstand.

I've done the suspension so much that now the centerstand is useless on the street. I use a 1x6 in my garage to get the rear wheel off the ground to lube it. Don't get me wrong, the suspension is working for me, but on occasion it seems like I've overdone it or underthunk it.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
It's easy to get carried away.

I'm of the opinion one should buy a bike and mod it immediately only because the money spent will keep things in check. I say that because I haven't followed my own advice and my bike looks like a collection of aftermarket trinkets and baubles.

Stuff that doesn't show (suspension, PowerCommanders, etc.) shouldn't count. :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm still working on my first changes to my bike. Working on a single seat for the St3, probably would be easier to just buy a used D675 seat and mod, but I want to make a rear cowling along with the seat. I just wish I had more tools, welders, grinders, etc, to do more custom work. A custom subframe that sits lower or is shorter or something would be fun, cut brackets to move foot controls back and maybe up, instead of spending an insane amount on aftermarket. Thinking about checking to see how much a custom mid pipe would cost to install a single underseat can. Too much I want to do and not enough money/time, lol.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See? That's kinda what I'm talking about. I suppose it's just the fun of doing stuff to your bike, but the flip side might be one is doing too much and taking away from the actual functionality of the machine.

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
After purchasing my 2010 T100 Bonneville I used this forum to research mod's to make my Bonnie a fun, well running, better handling, good looking, functioning motorcycle. I am very pleased with the results and I have no thoughts of doing any more mod's. I couldn't ask for a better performing T100...other than maintaining her I am just putting on the miles with lots of smiles.

Bob

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Mine came with Triumph TORs and associated carb work, but other than that, I don't feel much need to squeeze extra horsepower out of the engine. My main mods have been for comfort and handling: Progressive suspension, Metzler tires, western handlebars and gel seat. The latter was an aesthetic mod as much as a comfort one - I prefer the profile over the stock seat:

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
My mods tend to come from the comfort and safety standpoint as well. That was almost everything I did with my Ninja 500.

Some were already done for me on the Sprint: gel seat, taller windshield, some extra lighting, aftermarket horn, frame sliders. Those were all things I would have done to it myself, so as it sat, it was a very fun and comfortable motorcycle. I wanted the TORs, but more for the look than the extra hp (the bike has plenty). I wanted the rear hugger because I was tired of cleaning goop and chain crap off the rear shock and from beneath the seat. I liked the look of the Pazzo levers (or in my case knock offs), but the big benefit was the adjustable clutch more than the looks, so those went on. The rim tape I added for safety.

Then I decided between the levers and rim tape I needed a few more red bits, and that's when the red fairing bolts went on. Yeah, those are for bling only.

I think I'm done now. None of those changed the functionality of the bike. They just make me happy.

I did also change the R/R but that was because the old one was about to fry itself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
IMHO there's at least 3 schools of thought

1. if it doesn't make it go faster, handle better or stop faster it doesn't belong on the bike

2. comfort and personal taste, if you like it go for it

3. farkle that baby out, every tasteless, gaudy, overdone, trendy hunk of garbage you can bolt on there go for it!

Personally I go for 1 and 2 on my bikes. I've done some suspension mods to my Yamaha but it also has a siren on it. The siren definitely doesn't add to performance. My Bonnie is a different girl altogether, she's mostly stock and in awesome shape, both mechanically and cosmetically. I'm not going to do much to her.

·
30,008 Posts
I just do what I want, and roll with it. If I do something and end up not liking it I take it off, sell it, and then get something else. Or not. I have mixture of bikes with lots of mods on some, a few on others and naff all mods on others. It just depends how I feel and what i think will be fun.

I don't feel I've ever overdone any mods as such, but like I say sometimes I don't like things, and will remove them. I have tried many different seats on the Bonneville, for example. Not much of a mod that one. On the other hand, performance cams and carburettors - knock out!

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I did cosmetic mods on the bike before the warranty ran out...the performance mods after...

This winter I should be done with everything...Ive got a few more things to powdercoat and its not quite tuned correctly...

The only things I would consider "farkle" or unnecessary...would be the ped slicer...headlight gravel guard and the "lucas" style brake light...

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Mods are half the fun of owning a bike. I don't think I've ever over done mods, but I have installed a few things that I later removed.

Kem

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
certainly not!

(but, I, er, may not be an unbiased observer :p:D )

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've done a bunch and fo the most part been quite happy with the results.
BUT
-I did remove the BC fork brace as no matter how I installed it it caused increased stiction.
-Jury is still out on the CR35 carbs. Better torque, can finaly keep up to my cousin on hi monster on the straights but decreased livabilty, much more cold blooded and not as smooth as stock at idle of smaller throttle opennings.
Not sure if I will be doing the cams and headwork anymore, may just stick with my Duc as my go fast bike.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Modding your bike is like endless differing trays of appetizers...riding it is like one massive tasty main course that only gets better.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
"Have nothing on your motorcycle that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." -William Morris (sort of...)

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
My Sprint RS I have never felt the need to do much. It has a carbon can and a belly pan and that is it. Performance or farkles aren't my thing on this bike.

Leonie's Thruxton is another matter. It is the perfect bike to fluff and farkle with. Seat, bars, mirrors, tail tidy, carb needles, exhaust, LED blinkers and stop light, steering dampener, fork brace, YSS suspenders and emulators, etc etc etc. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts