Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy saw me ride my 73 750 to work one day and we got to talking about his old chopper. It is a 66 650 Bonnie with 5ft springer front end, rigid rear, fiberglass tank and so on. It has sat since 75 when he wrecked it. After some talking I agreed to try to restore it. He gave me the bike and $500 to start. Money is too much of an object with him. He just wants the bike to ride around his neighborhood on, maybe to the store once in a while. The bike is very rough. Engine was locked up, front end is very rusty, frame and body work paint is toast. Pretty much everything on the bike will have to be replaced or restored. Bike was painted pink with pyschadelic spheres and flames. Very 70's. Frame will be powdercoated black. Body work is undecided yet. All chrome will either be redone or powdercoated. I took the head off to look at the pistons. They were at the lowest point of travel and rusted to the cylinders walls. Right cylinder had 3 inched of water and left cylinder had 3 inches of rust particles. I had to break the cylinder and a piston to get it free. Bottom end appear to be rock solid some how. Still had oil in it so no rust that I can see. This should take most of the winter to finish. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No way in hell I would buy it. I am just getting it ready for him to enjoy. He is just writting me checks whenever I need them. He is paying for everything plus paying me for the labor. I have the sandblaster, powdercoater, paint equipment and all the tools I will ever need so it should not be too hard.

·
Registered
794 Posts
That's either "Faded Watermelon" or "Salmon". Real blokes don't recognise pink.

Good luck with the refurb, Kawtoy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Kaw-
Really, if you get to looking close, this one ain't the worst you'll see to start with! When you said "Chopper" I had visions of hex oil tanks and welded-on hardtails, etc.... This one looks like it has it's rear frame intact and even the swingarm--cool! Is the neck raked? Or is it all done with the springer? Going back to a stock front end? Do the #'s match? (This is the biggie, of course) Heck, if the #'s are there, this would be worth the re-do, and not much more work than some of the "original" barn finds out there, just looks like Hell on first blush. They only bolt together one way, after all! :hammer:
Good luck on it!

Mike
Kansas, America

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Is Clarksville anywhere near Nashville? My little brother lives in Nashville,and is in the demolition business. I'm sure he could spare a couple of sticks of dynomite. :-D

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Man, that thing makes my job of putting my 76 T14V Bonny
back to show room condition a piece of cake.
Bill

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Man you just got to keep the tank scheme. You have to. There is no choice on that.
Remember when everything was sprayed through lace? That would be cool too. Go to www.ratbike.com That bike belongs there. Too cool. Add snuff-r-nots too. What is that in the background. A reverse paint Red & Black Bonnie? Oh wait. It is really an old Bonnie. I looked at it again. Cool.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, If you work in a machine shop equipped with welders and a paint booth beside a sanblaster & powdercoat line. You may have a fighting chance. Be sure to get the sludge trap cleaned. My 59 was a mess like that one, but not quite as rusted. I threw out the chopper stuff. It took 5 years in my spare time and got help from fellow workers(paint line ,welders etc). It still and never will be 'finished' but it has been a rider for the last two seasons. I hope the owner has a lot of bread. Good luck and I hope you two remain friends!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Well, it looks pretty much uncut. Stock tank mounts, stock rear frame and swingarm. Even the stock sidecover. Hell, don't let the paint scare ya. You, or HE, will need a big box of parts...seat, tank, forks, front wheel, etc....but, they are all available. Not a bad start, actually. And I'll bet you can sell the front end and the Invader front wheel for more than a little money. The pistons look like a set of MC forged 10.5 to ones, or possibly TT Special pistons, ditch them and get some lower compression pistons and a fresh bore..........Hey, that is something to check.....does the engine number say something like T120TT DUXXXXX? If so, and if the numbers match the frame, he's got a winner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts