Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. after reading ventura's many posts on the benefits of restrictor plate removal, i decided the holiday weekend was a good time to start tearing apart the bike some more. now, was monumental for me, cause i used to be the type to just take it in to the dealer and not bother with it. i have to say i am very proud of myself for the work i have done in the last few months on the bonnie. so i got busy today and started to get to work. thanks go out to ventura, keef, and others who posted pics and how-tos on the restrictor plate removal. i removed the rear fender and the 4 bolts attaching the airbox to the frame. all in all, the hardest part was getting the side off the air box cause the restrictor plate was preventing me from getting the side to go towards the front of the bike. finally, just went ahead and muscled it out and used to a screwdriver to manipulate the restrictor tabs while working the side up and out. putting it back together was much easier! all together it probably took 45 minutes or so. i then opened up the filter inlet cover as far as possible and still hold the k&n filter in place. so, now having done both of these mods i am looking to get the jetting correct. initially, i have left the jets alone since i was rich from the get go. i never liked the dynojet kit, so the other day i removed it completely and went back to the original dealer jettings. they were 127.5 mains and 40 pilots thruxton needles with 1 shim and 3 turns out. i looked at ventura's posts and started with the a/f screws 2 turns out as he posted but left the shims in. went for a ride and then went to a LONG parking lot for some low speed tuning. first off, i adjusted as far as 3 1/4 turns out and i am still getting some surging while cruising in first at 1500 rpm. and again in second at 2000 rpm. it is not bad but it is there. there was some slight popping on decel and the tach needle briefly holds high before settling down to 1000 rpm. this would lead me to believe that since i am 3 1/4 turns out that 42 pilots are needed. correct? the bike does seem to want to accept full throttle in all gears without stumbling although in 4th and 5th it does want to slightly hestitate from a 1500 rpm wot acceleration. it is very, very slight but i notice it and i wonder if bigger main jets are in order? in a top speed run on the high way the opening of the airbox is definetly noticeable! the bike gets to redline much faster than before. i hit 110 as read on the speedo before letting off (it is a holiday weekend with cops mind you!). i was very impressed with bike after these mods and the exhaust tone is a helluva lot better now. people definetly hear me coming! anyways, i am thinking that i need to go to 42's on the pilots and maybe 130's on the mains. what do you all think? i put in an order from newbonneville and ordered both of these so stay tuned. also, where would you start on the a/f screws with the 42's? i am thinking 1.5 turns out to start with? thanks, keith

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the 40's are still working huh? just seems to me like the bike would benefit from larger pilots. the worst thing i could do would be to try it and see if it is better/worse. how was your top end? mine is pulling very strongly now! i am in love with the exhaust tone! can't imagine what some BC Sleepers would sound like with the mods!-keith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts