Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced any problems hauling your bike with a carrier
that raises your bike completely off the ground or a dolly where you actually have the back tire on the road. Backup problems with the dolly?

Thanks,
Sprint01

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've hauled my Sprint with my bumper carrier a couple of times. It's a very heavy duty carrier rated at 650 lbs, but your vehicle is very important. If you buy one make sure it's very heavy duty, I have a Versahaul.

I have a Toyota 4runner. I bought the carrier to haul my dirt bike with the idea that I could haul the Sprint in an emergency and that's the only times I used it for the Sprint. The carrier can take it, but that much weight on the back bumper of a relatively light vehicle like the 4runner really makes for squirrelly handling. I would not go very far or very fast with the Sprint on the back. Just like with towing a heavier vehicle makes it easier and safer to haul a load.

·
Registered
128 Posts
towing

with the rear tire on the ground, you can tow your bike to the local dealer
within a half hour or so.

longer than that would require you to remove the chain, so the counter shaft
sprocket will not turn. why?

your motor oil will not get to this shaft and seal and may cause it to leak or fail
in the future, many say better to remove the chain for a long trip.

i have taken all my bikes to the local dealers with a front tire only hitch on the
back of my car. no issues, works great.

some say you can over fill the motor with oil, and then drain it back out, instead of
removing your chain, but i think that's more of a pain.

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you are using a hitch mounted carrier like a Moto-tote to haul a heavy bike like a Sprint, you should be very aware of the carry rating on your hitch.

Most US class 3 hitches are rated for 5,000lbs trailer weight/500lbs tongue load max. In practice, the moto tote puts all that weight a foot behind that hitch, which can cause the hitch to bend downwards over time if you use it a lot. It pays to be careful.

Been there, done that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts