Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had a day off work and went for a ride. It was chilly so I wore my gerbings jacket and pants liner. Start riding some back roads up in NWCT and the Berkshire area of MA. I ride this area all the time so I am pretty familiar with most of the roads but there are still quite a few around I can get lost on. So I am heading down every back road not paying attention to where I am going cause I have a Garmin Zumo 550. Gets kind of late and I decide I need to head home as its already late afternoon and getting chilly despite the heated suit. Don't really know where I am but its somewhere on the MA/ NY line. Northwest of Pittsfield. I haven't seen any street signs and this very backroad looks as though it hasn't been traveled on much lately, (the kind of road that makes you wonder if Ned Beatty will be squealing like a pig anytime soon). No worries, just turn on the GPS hit go home and voila. No problem. Okay problem. GPS won't come on!!!!. Try several times, nothing, take if off and reinstall. Nothing. Slight concern time as I don't know wher I am, so I ride what I can figure to be an easterly direction based on the setting sun and eventually come across 7A which I know eventually leads to 7 and home. I slightly before dark and temps near freezing and of course I still have only a tinted shield which exasperates the dark plus, its cold. Gerbings works but cold still gets under a helmet.

Moral of the story, Be prepared. In cold weather, carry my turtle fur Balaclava, clear shield in case I may be out late and make sure the GPS works before you get yourself lost

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Yes,

In the fall, I always carry the clear shield now after getting stuck "in the dark." And the balaclava is a must too. No heated gear yet, but I might get some.

·
Registered
238 Posts
And if your Zumo won't come on again, simply hit the plus (+) on the left side, and the power on button at the same time. Hold them together for about 1-2 seconds, and wella.... the Zumo 550 will come back on. Happened to me a couple of times.

oldsprint03

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Good to hear you made it back ok to tell the tale.

This sort of experience serves to highlight how dangerous it is to place absolute place faith in techno gadgets. I've never yet had a paper map refuse to work for me. Do you carry a puncture repair kit as well?

·
Registered
286 Posts
The "stuck with a dark shield" thing is the reason I bought a Scorpion EXO-1000 with the internal tinted shield....works great. My bike is my primary transportation and I regularly get caught in situations that either clear or dark are not the best for.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always carry my tire repair kit (except that one time on the way to Americade, when Ricster got a flat) and I normally carry my clear shield in my bags. Its just a pain making that change on the side of the road.

I tried everything the Techs at Garmin suggested, it never came on so I sent it back. Another thing I may add is an EZ Pass if anyone can suggest a decent mount system. I imagine it would suck to be lost without cash and find a route home that happens to be a toll road.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Great advice

Now that the sun is setting that much earlier and of course, the grey days !:( - makes sense to carry my spare visor coupled with silk liner gloves, mobile etc.

Maybe (even for the UK) I should consider a GPS.

Once my seven month old son is a little bigger, I can persuade my wife to go to France - them in the car, me 'trailing' around after, before and around on the bike!!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Curious as to why you guys don't use sunglasses? something tells me there is a safety concern involved but my oakleys serve 2 purposes -
1- when I ride I can lift the sheild and still have eye protection, they exceed z87.1 standards even though they're not certified.

2- if and when it gets dark I can pull them off and pocket them and I'm good to go.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Speaking for myself, I've never had a problem at night with my smoked Shoei shield.

I did try sunglasses with a clear shield many moons ago and the polarization was like an LSD trip. I never could wear polarized glasses while flying either. Of course, unlike Don, my aircraft consisted or rental spam cans.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Polarized lenses pretty much suck no matter what. My oaks are perfect for cruising, blue coating so it blocks light in a way that enhances the colors. I love wearing them. I have tan lines all year round

1 - 11 of 11 Posts